Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
EDIT. vent. I'm tired of nonparents being pissy in the workplace
by Anonymous
March 9 at 11:20 PM
EDIT: to clarify, so I don't have to keep reposting this: I don't ask for preferential treatment. All I ask is that she not be a hypocritical bitch. This is ONE day that I am coming in late in order to work late, and will still work a FULL day. She regularly takes long lunches, leaves early, or comes in late and I have never once been bitchy to her about it.

OP:

Thanks in advance if you read this vent.

I have a coworker who has chosen not to have children, and she is an absolute asshole about child-related things. I'm so tired of her dirty looks and comments when I go to pump. She's also pissed that I am not working Fridays for the year (I just had a baby last year).

Tonight I texted her and told her I was coming in late tomorrow since we have to stay for an event until 9. She texted back
"Well, here's the thing. Jessica and I are working full days tomorrow AND staying late. I think you should use vacation time."

Grrr. I wouldn't actually care that much about vacation time, I just can't stand her attitude.

What would you do?

ETA: I am not taking "extra time off" for kids. We get paid for a 40 hour workweek, although I currently am getting paid for a 32 hour week as I have Fridays off. I should add that last year when she was teaching a course in the evenings, she regularly came in late.

Replies

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    March 9 at 11:22 PM
    Is she your superior?
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    March 9 at 11:23 PM
    Is the event you have to stay for work related?
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    I would stop expecting a work place to cater to you specially just because you have chosen to have children, they are trying to run a business.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    I would expect that you should have the same standards as any other employee. Having children doesn't mean you qualify for special treatment.
  • ConnorsMommy21

That doesn't make sense. If you use a vacation day you wouldn't go in at all...

• SaratheN
    March 9 at 11:25 PM
    So you have a kid and get to come in when ever you feel like it?
  • Amybelle

I would be a competent, responsible employee........you should try it

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    Hmm, how is it fair that you get extra time off just because you have children? I would honestly be annoyed too if I had different expectations put on me than on someone else simply because I chose not to have children.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    We have a strange relationship. We are considered peers, except our asshole boss recently put her in charge of "office details."

She has had a lot of jealousy in general towards me, as I essentially took all the good parts of her job when I was hired (not my fault), and she became more and more of a secretary. Now she is getting a bit more responsibility and is on a bizarre power trip. I've never seen anyone act like her.

Quoting LyTe684: Is she your superior?
  • Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    March 9 at 11:26 PM
    Exactly. I had a girl who was a single mom. She claimed she was late because she didnt have a babysitter. Or she didnt have anyone else to pick her kid up. Sad but it isnt our problem. Get to work on time. And dont expect to leave early.

Quoting Anonymous: I would expect that you should have the same standards as any other employee. Having children doesn't mean you qualify for special treatment.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN