Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Mammacra
Small edit You know your 3 year old has OCD when...
January 28 at 6:02 AM
He can't sit down at story time at daycare unless the bathroom light is off & door is shut!

He wakes up screaming at 5 am because his "blankie is broken" which means is not completely covering his bed evenly!

Once awake he can't go back to sleep until you fix his brothers pillow because the ninja turtles are facing the wrong way!

He has to close every door or gate that's open!

He needs a new napkin or baby wipe every time he wipes his hands!

He can't get even a drop of water on his clothes without needing to change them.

Washes his hands constantly with soap & water.

Puts things exactly in their place ALWAYS! Matches things by size & color!

No it's NOT autism :-). I am a nurse and I work with people with various cognitive hardships. He's extremely well at talking compaired to his peers. He can enjoy time outdoors digging in sand or mud! We live on the coast & he enjoys the beach & all the different sensory experiences there. He can count, sing, dance, climb, run etc. he's just overly particular about things.

Replies

• xolilmamato3
    January 28 at 6:07 AM
    Good luck with that. I have an OCD husband. Drives me crazy sometimes lol. My son has some weird OCD things, but not like your child. I have to hug and kiss him twice at the bus stop and wave or he has a melt down.
  • tezell78
    January 28 at 6:11 AM
    My kids all have neurotic tendencies. I find them cute other people don't. Lol.
  • Mammacra
    January 28 at 6:14 AM
    I have OCD & anxiety! Poor kid! I understand my dh just gets mad at him. :-(. I need to give my little guy a hug, kiss & a high 5 before bed & when I drop him off at school. He just turned 3 jan 15. He's been very OCD about doors & gates being closed pretty much since he was mobile! He would crawl past the bathroom and sit freak out & point at the door if it was open even a crack!

Quoting xolilmamato3: Good luck with that. I have an OCD husband. Drives me crazy sometimes lol. My son has some weird OCD things, but not like your child. I have to hug and kiss him twice at the bus stop and wave or he has a melt down.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 28 at 6:15 AM

Sounds like my DD

• Derpy
    by Derpy

Sounds like me.

• Mammacra
    I embrace it! He's a cutie & can't help it! I have OCD so I completely understand! But my dh will shake his head & say what's wrong with that kid!?

Quoting tezell78: My kids all have neurotic tendencies. I find them cute other people don't. Lol.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    3 is awfully young for OCD. It usually begins around age 10...

I will say from experience though that indulging in his obsessions is only going to make it worse. Read the book Freeing Your Child From OCD. It has helped me tremendously. There is also a workbook for OCD that is very good but your child might be too young and I don't remember the name right now.
  • Mammacra
    January 28 at 6:19 AM
    I have OCD & discuss his behavior with my therapist. I try to encourage him that it's ok if things aren't perfect. Sometimes after reassurance he's ok but if he's tired there's no way to talk him out of it. Best to just fix the situation so he can relax. As he gets older and understands more we will be getting him the help he needs to over come OCD. His two daycare teachers have been saying it to me for a while that they love how OCD he is because he's the only child that they can rely on to put things where they belong!!!

Quoting Anonymous: 3 is awfully young for OCD. It usually begins around age 10...

I will say from experience though that indulging in his obsessions is only going to make it worse. Read the book Freeing Your Child From OCD. It has helped me tremendously. There is also a workbook for OCD that is very good but your child might be too young and I don't remember the name right now.
  • lovehimforever
    January 28 at 6:21 AM
    Darn that blankie. :)
  • jjames1990
    January 28 at 6:26 AM
    One of my ex husbands was OCD. He would wake up in the middle of the night to make sure all the shoes in the closet were facing the same way. He took several showers a day. And he had to count every thing, everything had to be an even number.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts