Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
LucyMom08
It shouldn't be called Black Friday...
November 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It should be called the Hunger Games...people kill and trample each other and the winner gets a $100 tv...

Replies

• YoureSoVain
    November 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM

lol but I am curious as to why the stores started calling it Black Friday, since, as far as i know, the term originated from employees calling it that based on it sucking to have to work it. Definitely a negative term. I just wonder that spin they put on the name?

• lovemymini
    November 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Mobile Photo

• j3st3r
    by j3st3r
    November 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    It's when retail stores typically go from "in the red" to "in the black."

Accounting term for when they turn profitable for the year.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

lol but I am curious as to why the stores started calling it Black Friday, since, as far as i know, the term originated from employees calling it that based on it sucking to have to work it. Definitely a negative term. I just wonder that spin they put on the name?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    It's because it's the day that usually put a business that's in the red..to back in the black..so they are now making a profit.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• xomrs.chase
    November 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    LOL
    They weren't that bad here. 99% of the people were polite
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I think it was originally called that because stores who's books were in the red were now in the black.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous

Wow.  Don't even open your mouth.  It's abotu the bottom line.  When a business is in the red they are doing poorly.  When they are in the black they are exceeding expectations.  Get an education please or don't open your mouth.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• Bertha21
    It starts on Thursday, it shouldn't be called black friday. People are crazy.
  • lady-J-Rock
    November 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    It's name originated from the store going from being in the red to being in the black. Red is debt. Black is profits.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• momto2boys973
    November 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    Quoting YoureSoVain:

One explanation I heard is that retailers spend many months operating with losses, a.k.a in the "red", and Black Friday marks the beginning of them making a profit, or being in the "black".

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts