Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
LucyMom08
It shouldn't be called Black Friday...
November 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It should be called the Hunger Games...people kill and trample each other and the winner gets a $100 tv...

Replies

• YoureSoVain
    November 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM

lol but I am curious as to why the stores started calling it Black Friday, since, as far as i know, the term originated from employees calling it that based on it sucking to have to work it. Definitely a negative term. I just wonder that spin they put on the name?

• lovemymini
    November 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Mobile Photo

• j3st3r
    by j3st3r
    November 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    It's when retail stores typically go from "in the red" to "in the black."

Accounting term for when they turn profitable for the year.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

lol but I am curious as to why the stores started calling it Black Friday, since, as far as i know, the term originated from employees calling it that based on it sucking to have to work it. Definitely a negative term. I just wonder that spin they put on the name?

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    November 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    It's because it's the day that usually put a business that's in the red..to back in the black..so they are now making a profit.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• xomrs.chase
    November 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    LOL
    They weren't that bad here. 99% of the people were polite
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    November 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I think it was originally called that because stores who's books were in the red were now in the black.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3

Wow.  Don't even open your mouth.  It's abotu the bottom line.  When a business is in the red they are doing poorly.  When they are in the black they are exceeding expectations.  Get an education please or don't open your mouth.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• Bertha21
    It starts on Thursday, it shouldn't be called black friday. People are crazy.
  • lady-J-Rock
    November 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    It's name originated from the store going from being in the red to being in the black. Red is debt. Black is profits.

Quoting YoureSoVain:

• momto2boys973
    November 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    Quoting YoureSoVain:

One explanation I heard is that retailers spend many months operating with losses, a.k.a in the "red", and Black Friday marks the beginning of them making a profit, or being in the "black".

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN