Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
mom2the.rescue
I'm working on Thanksgiving
November 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM

ugh....this is a vent.  I've got a part time retail job to help with bills & Christmas presents.  And they've scheduled me for Thanksgiving from 5 pm to 2am.  We always drive an hour away for my family's Thanksgiving (40 people) and dinner's always right around 4 or 5...then there's a fun party.  

I don't mind working any shift the ends by 2pm or that begins at like 8 pm...but these hours are making me cringle for my family.

Now I'm going to miss is.  My family will pressure me to quit this low paying job, but it's really helping us right now.  My dh is going to be the worst.  I'll hear about this for years.  I've been a SAHM for 13 yrs, my youngest is 2.  I have such a crappy feeling in my stomach right now.  I haven't told anyone yet.  I'm going to beg for someone to switch shifts with me.  I'm nervous about my hours on Christmas Eve & Christmas.  :(

Is this happening to anyone else here?  

Replies

• csxt99
    by csxt99
    November 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM

This happens every year in retail.  I worked whatever holiday I was scheduled for.

• owl0210
    by owl0210
    November 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    No, I have a M-F 9-5 job and get all holidays off paid.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    November 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM

its retail....did they honestly think you would be off? you are the low man here, which means you get stuck with the crappy shifts

• BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
    November 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    I've worked Thanksgivings in the past. It sucks but when you work retail or any type of customer service jobs, it's a given.

I work retail, but as of right now I'm off the schedule for thanksgiving and black Friday.
  • steffielou_who
    November 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    I would quit.. Sorry but holidays are important to me..
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    November 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Quoting steffielou_who:

I would quit.. Sorry but holidays are important to me..

Yep, same here. 

• poietes
    by poietes
    Yup, did it for years. That's what you get when you are in retail. Come on, you got hired as seasonal help, what did you really think would happen? That 5 pm shift is like the start of Black Friday.
  • MommyAddie
    I would quit in a heartbeat rather than miss Thanksgiving.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    November 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    I used to work thanksgiving and easter day at a grocery store. I would actually volunteer for those shifts since they paid time& a half and it would be extremely slow. Do you even get paid extra for those holiday shifts? I think going into it..you should have known that holidays were probably going to be required.
  • 2and2onway
    November 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I volunteered to work open to close on Thanksgiving, 5am-11am:)

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN