Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
ButterMeUp
I FINALLY SAW 12 YEARS A SLAVE.
November 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I meant to post about this last night, but I got a bit busy.

The movie was great. I would have to give it a 5/5! It was great to get a small glimpse into the general life, more or less, of an AA slave.  A cop was posted a few feet from the entrance to the movie. I guess they thought people might get a little testy after ward. I was pretty pissed that he singled us out when at least 5-6 other white people crossed. He ask us what movie we were seeing and ask to see our stubs when I know he saw the woman at the rope let us by. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see a handful of white faces in the crowd. 

eye rolling

The movie started out present tense and then flashed back to his original life and how he was abducted. Then progressed though his life on the different slave plantations and his triumphs and very sad, very brutal downfalls. In the end he is reunited to his family and lives the rest of his life as an Abolitionist helping to spread the anti-slave movement and through the underground railroad. It appears he was again abducted and/or killed. 

I would suggest anyone who can stand it to go watch it. There was quite a few really gory moments that made me cringe and turn away, but most of it was fine. I saw a few older kids with their parents, but honestly I would say no children under about 8/10 should see this quite yet. 

Has anyone else seen it? What did you like or not like. 

Replies

• Kaelaasmom
    November 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    He was from the town I live in, so he is part of our local history. He was not recaptured, he wrote the book 12 Years a Slave. He was also instrumental in getting legislation passed to recover other free-born black people who were kidnapped and forced into slavery.
  • ButterMeUp
    November 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM

On another note, I noticed several of my local theaters are not caring the movie. I find this extremely disheartening but also motivating. I plan on trying to see and support the movie as much as time will allow me. Nothing fucks with me more than people trying to dictate what I want to watch or suppress my cultures present/past

• ewild
    by ewild
    November 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I haven't even heard of it but it sounds interesting

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    November 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    I'm sure you took it personally, too.
  • ButterMeUp
    November 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Oh, I IK about the book. However it seems there is no record of his death. Seems so odd. I would assume anyone with a family and just a little celebrity would have their time/place/ and reason of death known. However, I got this from the movie so who knows how true it actually is. 

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

He was from the town I live in, so he is part of our local history. He was not recaptured, he wrote the book 12 Years a Slave. He was also instrumental in getting legislation passed to recover other free-born black people who were kidnapped and forced into slavery.

• ButterMeUp
    November 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Took what personally? It didn't happen to me personally so I have nothing to take personal. It was sad, but it didn't anger nor upset me. 

Do you just expect black people to go out and riot over a movie?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sure you took it personally, too.

• ButterMeUp
    November 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

B

• ButterMeUp
    November 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

U

• ButterMeUp
    November 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

M

• ButterMeUp