Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Help me!
by Anonymous
November 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM
My DD is 20 months old. She has always gone to bed at 7-7:30&up at 7. Now she gets up at 4am. I'm exhausted and I have tried everything. She just won't go back to bed! I keep hee up till 8-9, but it doesn't matter. Actually the days shes up later it seems she gets up more often. She only naps once a day for an hour or so. I've tried the whole explaining to her she needs to stay in bed till the sun comes out, got one of those nights lights that changed color at a certain time&she doesn't seem to understand that. I've tried getting her to lay down in my bed, everything. I'm exhausted. I don't understand why she won't sleep! She has never had an issue sleeping, and this is really wearing me out. If she actually would fall back asleep it wouldn't be so bad, but she won't. She refuses to lay back down no matter what I do. Please help! Have any of your kids gone through this? I really need to know I'm not the only one here. I feel so alone, hubby works a lot and its just me here all day most days. 4am wouldn't seem so bad but I work from 9-11 every night so I am not even in bed till midnight, and 4hrs of sleep is not enough for a pregnant momma lol. Also she is tired, by 9am she wants a nap and then she will be tired again by 2-3, and is just overall cranky as hell. Anyway, any help? I'm at a loss of what to do!

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    November 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    Bump
  • suzanneyea
    November 6, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Put her to bed later.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 6, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    I'm in the same boat with my sixteen month old. Normally he woke at 7:30... no we're waking up at 5! I despise time change. It always messes with my kids schedules. I'm totally following this post. I even tried to keep him awake all day yesterday, go to bed at normal 8:00 and we're still up at 5.
  • dlnimo
    by dlnimo
    November 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    One of my twins does this. She is 2 and it doesn't matter what time I put her to bed she is up at 5:30 (4:30 new time). This morning she is actually still sleeping because she missed a nap yesterday. She was hell on wheels last night because of it so I'm not sure if I want to try the no nap thing again today!
  • SageAdvice
    November 6, 2013 at 6:03 AM

First if you have a set schedulestick with it if possible. Also just because she wakes up at 4 am doesn't mean you have to get her up - babies are able to comfort themselves and play in their crib till it's time to rise for the day ( of course make sure she's dry and not hungry but once that's done return her to bed and let her entertain herself till time to get up ) They first few days she might cry and whine, but in time she will learn to play quietly or go back to sleep till it's time to get up.

If all else fails make her regular bedtime an hour or 2 later than normal -

but I'm all for allowing them to learn to entertain themselves or babble themselves back to sleep :o)

Gasp - shocking to many I know, but I raised happy children who feel loved and have always felt safe and content, better yet they don't expect others to entertain them every waking minute - they learned to do so themselves. . :o)

I also did the same for bed time, bath, reading , snuggles then a set bed time, they played quietly in their beds and babbled till they fell asleep on their own.

• SexiSeaBeeWife
    November 6, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    I would push her bedtime to 8:30 to see what happens.
  • wife-4-life
    November 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    This.

I have gone through this with my older two, ages 2 & 3 now. In fact, dd1 is doing this right now. When dd1 was younger, she stayed in bed and played till it was time to get up. Dd2 had to "learn" to do this because she'd always wake up crying. She got used to playing when she wakes up now.

Quoting SageAdvice:

First if you have a set schedulestick with it if possible. Also just because she wakes up at 4 am doesn't mean you have to get her up - babies are able to comfort themselves and play in their crib till it's time to rise for the day ( of course make sure she's dry and not hungry but once that's done return her to bed and let her entertain herself till time to get up ) They first few days she might cry and whine, but in time she will learn to play quietly or go back to sleep till it's time to get up.

If all else fails make her regular bedtime an hour or 2 later than normal -

but I'm all for allowing them to learn to entertain themselves or babble themselves back to sleep :o)

Gasp - shocking to many I know, but I raised happy children who feel loved and have always felt safe and content, better yet they don't expect others to entertain them every waking minute - they learned to do so themselves. . :o)

I also did the same for bed time, bath, reading , snuggles then a set bed time, they played quietly in their beds and babbled till they fell asleep on their own.

• Anonymous
    November 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    Bump
  • Anonymous
    November 6, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    I've tried, she won't stay up past 8-8:30 without crying for bedtime. She'll go crawl right into bed and start to fall asleep if I don't out her to bed when she wants.

Quoting suzanneyea:

Put her to bed later.

• Anonymous
    November 6, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    Its awful! And if she just started doing it it would be fine but she has been doing this for like three months now. I even try no naps and that doesn't work, she just cries and cries until I lay her down :( I feel for you! Hopefully it's ist a phase and it passes soon!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm in the same boat with my sixteen month old. Normally he woke at 7:30... no we're waking up at 5! I despise time change. It always messes with my kids schedules. I'm totally following this post. I even tried to keep him awake all day yesterday, go to bed at normal 8:00 and we're still up at 5.

Mom Confessions