Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Do i have to return a lost dog?
by Anonymous
October 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I found a german shepherd running down the middle of the highhway. I picked her up so she wouldn't get hit. I called the animal shelter and told them I had found a german shepherd, i posted it in the newspaper, put up a sign at the post office, posted on Craigslist and nobody ever claimed her. It's been 3 months and no luck. I gave up after 2-3 weeks of advertising. I left all the signs and posts, but stopped actively looking. 3 months later (today)

(Posted on Craigslist Lost & Found)

Someone stole my german shepherd (Kairai) out of my padlocked fenced in backyard! It happened July 24th of 2013. We are a young married couple and we love and miss our Kairai! We have no kids and so Kairai is like our baby! We are not offering a reward but know she is much loved! Please bring Kairai home!

First of all....July 24th...No. I picked her up July 15th. Thats almost 10 days that they didn't notice the dog was gone? I've cared for this dog, me and my kids are attached, i've trained her...I don't want to give her back. She was very skinny and shy when I got her...Now shes back to health and very fun and energetic. I have proof that i've posted it on CL and notified the animal shelter...I really don't wanna give her back. If they find out I have Kairai, Can the police take her away from us? Theres no special marks or anything to prove that Kairai, is Kairai. She had a tag on her that said "My Name Is Krazy Kairai" which has been changed to "Kyrie La'Bell" (Our last name)

What rigts, after 3 months, do Kairai's previous owners have if they were to find out?

Replies

• chickadees
    October 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

The first thing to do when you find a dog it to take it to the vet to see if it has a chip, there could be a family out there totally devastated. If you checked her for a chip, advertised in all the places you said and three months have gone by and nothing....enjoy your new dog.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    October 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Quoting chickadees:

The first thing to do when you find a dog it to take it to the vet to see if it has a chip, there could be a family out there totally devastated. If you checked her for a chip, advertised in all the places you said and three months have gone by and nothing....enjoy your new dog.

She was checked for a microchip. Nothing. There wasn't even a phone # on her tags or a rabies tag that would state what vet they use.

• usmcwifey11
    October 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    She's yours.
  • Bigmetalchicken
    October 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

In most places, after possessing an animal for 72 hours, it is legal yours. No, you do not have to give the dog back at this point, and if they tried to push it, you could charge them a 'boarding fee' for all the expenses you have incurred. As long as your bases are covered, you are fine. That hold, however, goes up to ten days if the dog has a chip or tags.

• babygirlsmom314
    October 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

You could call the police and ask what would happen if they tried to get their dog back.  Did you take pictures of the dog to show how she looked when you found her?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM

we had a dog wonder into our yard about a month ago now...and i put up stuff on craigs list and nothing...we fattened him up and he is part of the family and is a good guard dog as well...we wouldnt give hm back either.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    October 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

You could call the police and ask what would happen if they tried to get their dog back.  Did you take pictures of the dog to show how she looked when you found her?

Yeah i have plenty of pics where you can see how skinny she was, and vet records from 3 days after i got her that showed she had worms and some kind of infection that had went untreated

• sarah824

Yes, return the dog. She is NOT yours and her family misses her very much. Our dog ran away 7 weeks ago and we think someone has him. It pisses me off that people think they can just keep a dog because they found it. We have posted flyers, notified vets and shelters, posted all over FB and craigslist and still nothing. I know someone has him.

Do the right thing and return the dog!!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous

My advice? Keep records of any money you spend on her...dogs are treated like property in most states. If you incurred $1000 caring for her, you can legally ask them to repay it before  returning the dog.

• babygirlsmom314
    October 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting babygirlsmom314:

Yeah i have plenty of pics where you can see how skinny she was, and vet records from 3 days after i got her that showed she had worms and some kind of infection that had went untreated

I would say if you have proof (which you do) that they weren't taking care of her, I really don't see how anyone would make you give her back.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts