Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
prdmama1154
I can't decide if I should pull him out.
October 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I got my son into cubscouts.  He's six so he's a Tiger Cub.  He doesn't seem too interested in baseball, basketball, football etc. but I know it's important that he be in some kind of extra curricular activity.  I figured Cubscouts because it would help socialize him and build his self confidence.  Well, he hates it.  He doesn't like the meetings, complains and whines when we have "homework" to do, and to be honest, I don't like it too much either.  I just don't want to pull him out too early and teach him that it's okay to just give up.  He's gone to about four or five meetings now, all of which he says are boring.  I try to stay positive about it and explain how you have to do work before the fun things like field trips and stuff, but he's just not feeling it. 

I'm thinking about putting him into a mixed martial arts class.  He went to an open house thing with a friend of his one night and he loved it.  I think I'm going to call today and get some details and price it out.  Do you think I'm bailing too early on Cubscouts?

Replies

• OwlNuggets
    October 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Nah, you clearly know whether this is a long haul interest...sounds like it won't be.

Martial arts are amazing; I was enrolled in TKD when I was 12 and though I've changed arts, it's still a really important thing in my life.

And classes? NEVER boring.

• littlesippycup
    October 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Tell him to give it an honest try for 6 months and if it isn't working out by then, it's not going to and quit then.

• KMadsen
    by KMadsen
    October 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

If he genuinely dislikes it, pull him out. Sounds like its just not his thing. 

• tcallisto
    October 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

If he doesn't like it, and you have another activty that draws him, then switch it.  My son was in cub scouts for a brief time and he was super bored with it, so I was glad when he said he wanted to stop going.  Martial Arts sounds like a good activity!

• suzanneyea
    October 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Quit

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    October 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Nope! Not at all! I personally, cannot STAND scouts! I think it is SO STUPID!! Of course, I end up with 4 boys and one girl!! My boys have ALL LOVED scouts-do not ask me why! I told DH a LONG time ago that if they are going to be in scouts, he will be the one to be sure they do the crap in the book to get their badges. I refuse to go to any of their stupid scouting activities or dinners etc! They are having a stupid thing about scouting this coming week for the families and I am not going! I remember when my mom forced me to stay in activities I did not want to stay in as a kid! I HATED that she made me go!! I always said if my kids don't like an activity after the 3rd time they went, I would not force them to go a 4th time. I think the martial arts sounds way more fun than stupid scouting!! I am so glad we are down to our last 2 boys who are of scouting age! I was even happier when I found out DD was a GIRL at my 20-week ultrasound! I was like HOOOORAY!!!! NO MORE DAMN IDIOTIC scouts!! WOO!! HOO!! Good luck!!

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

LOL.  I've never actually heard of a parent who wishes to instill in their 6 year old that giving up is good.

Mind=blown

• prdmama1154
    October 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Yours was bored too?  Glad to know my son isn't the only one.  I put in him there because I wanted him to have a little more male interaction since it's mostly just him and I, but all the den leaders are moms.  Women actually run the whole show!  Which is fine, but it just doesn't hold his interest at all and I don't want to force it.

Now, how do I "break up" with cubscouts?

Quoting tcallisto:

If he doesn't like it, and you have another activty that draws him, then switch it.  My son was in cub scouts for a brief time and he was super bored with it, so I was glad when he said he wanted to stop going.  Martial Arts sounds like a good activity!

• OhSara87
    October 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

my brother HATED Cub Scouts but LOVED Boy Scouts - he's now getting his certification in adult training to be an assistant scout master. He's 22 and even though he looks like he has a beer keg for a belly he loves teaching the younger boys all about fire safety and how to build a fire in the cold/snow.

• fairymom82
    October 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    As a cubscout den mom I can tell you its something kids either love or hate there really isn't a middle ground . If he doesn't enjoy it,let him leave since he won't gain much out of it. I don't know how your group is doing it but we have go and see it activities one week then a hands on project the next to keep our young tigers interested .

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN