Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Cowgirl_Coyote
My Confession? I Slept with my brother for years and I don't see the big deal...
October 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Ok, I really want to know how it is so cruel for opposite sex children to share a room, especially when they are babies. My cousin is pregnant and having a boy. She also has a daughter, who is two. She is currently living with her mother (temporarily due to an unexpected financial crisis) and she is going to have to put the baby in the room with her daughter. Her mother (my aunt) is making a big deal about how that is cruelty and she won't have it in her house. She says that they boy will be trying to invade his sister's privacy and will peek at her while she's changing. Wtf? He is at least 7 years away from even noticing that there is difference between girls and boys. She says it is perverted. I think she is stupid.

When I was a kid, we had a three bedroom house. My older brother was 5 years older. His bedroom was on the other side of the house. My room was across from my parents' room because I was younger and they wanted to be able to listen out for me. When I was 3, my younger brother was born. They couldn't put the baby on the other side of the house and expect the 8 year old to get up with him. They couldn't move the 8 year old and put the 3 year old on the other side of the house where they couldn't hear her incase of an emergency. They made the logical choice and put the baby in with me, when he was old enough. I loved having my little brother in the room with me and we grew up very close. When I was five and he was two, we moved to a bigger house with four bedrooms, all located conviently close to my parents' bedroom. Benny started getting out of his bed and sneaking into mine because he missed me. He slept in my bed for another six months. I don't see how that was abusive or cruel. I changed in the bathroom and he never invaded my privacy or peeked at me when I was getting dressed (not until we were much older but we were in seperate rooms by then and I kicked his ass once and that pretty much ended it). When my parents went through a rough patch in their marriage and were fighting a lot, both of us ended up in my older brother's bed a lot. Nothing inappropriate ever happened. We are now 21, 24 and 29 and we are still very close.

Seriously, what is the big deal?

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    October 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Wow I seriously thought you meant "sleeping "with your brother. I don't really see the big deal with it though
  • Mommy4000
    October 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM

My children have never shared a room, but we've never been in a position where they've needed to. My brother and I shared a room until I was 10. I think it's important for children to have privacy once they hit puberty, probably even before that, but if financial situations don't allow for separate rooms, you do the best with what you have.

• Cowgirl_Coyote
    October 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I agree. Yes, it is nice for them to have their own rooms, even if they are same sex siblings, but sometimes that doesn't work.

Quoting Mommy4000:

My children have never shared a room, but we've never been in a position where they've needed to. My brother and I shared a room until I was 10. I think it's important for children to have privacy once they hit puberty, probably even before that, but if financial situations don't allow for separate rooms, you do the best with what you have.

• texasma06

Past a certain age I'd see the problem. My kids don't have any brother but they have several male cousins who spend the night. Up until this last year they would share a bed. My youngest dd is 6 about to be 7. Once her 6th birthday passed I started having my nephews sleep in the livingroom. They are 11, 7, 6, and 6. 

• Cowgirl_Coyote

Intentional mislead ;-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow I seriously thought you meant "sleeping "with your brother. I don't really see the big deal with it though

• bamamommy2009
    October 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

i dont think there is anything bad about co-sex sleeping when the kids are small like before they start kindergarden my ds is 2 and his sister is 4 and they share the same bed at night-he ahs his own room and so does she but they want to sleep together.

• kiwiskiwi29
    October 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My two kids share a room. My ds is 6 and my dd is 3. They have always shared a room because we have always lived in small two bedroom apartments. However they will be getting their own rooms for the first time in a few weeks because we are moving into a house finally. I don't see the big deal until they get older and need more privacy. I'm thinking middle school.

• mojogirl
    October 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM

i shared a room with my brother (he's 4.5 years younger) from when i was about 7 till i was 11 and we moved.

he farts in his sleep.  i understand he never grew out of that.

• crazedmama06
    October 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My boys all share one room even though we have 4 bedrooms. Their choice. Baby was in his own the olders asked for him to move into theirs. So far no one has asked to move. 

• rachellaree20
    October 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My brother and I shared a room until I was 10 and it wasn't a big deal.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts