Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
tardistraveller
Giving babies spicy food is bad?
October 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I've never heard of that before.

But when I was on the phone with my sister and my nephew (13mnths old) and I were having lunch he was making happy squeals.  She asked what he was happy about, so I told her I was sharing my curry with him. (she told me he can eat anything and likes to share)

She got upset and said you can't give babies that!

I won't again, I mean it's her kid.  But it was just couscous and lentils, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.  

Was I wrong?

Replies

• AnnieGoolaheey
    October 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My son has been eating hot sauce on practically everything since he was two.  If they like it, why not?

• tardistraveller
    October 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I gave my ds whatever I ate when he was this age, he didn't like spicy food.  He says (now) it hurts his tongue.  So I never gave it to him.  I just gave me nephew a tiny bit and he loved it so I gave him more.  

He cried when I wouldn't give him any more of it actually.  

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

My son has been eating hot sauce on practically everything since he was two.  If they like it, why not?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Spice won't hurt a baby. I wouldn't give them anything with the name "hell sauce" or anything like that, but regular everyday spices are good. I don't know where people got the notion that babies don't like flavor...that boggles my mind.

• Coconutty4Hubby
    October 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    I ate Thai Food every day when pregnant with DS. Now he loves Thai food, he started eating it at the age of 1...
  • mom22boys333
    October 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

My oldest started eating the jalepeno cheetos a little after his 1st b-day.....I was scared they would be too hot but he loved them.

• mlg1989
    by mlg1989
    October 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    I dont think so? I mean as long as they arent having a bad experience then I see no issue. If the baby is screaming because of the spiciness of it then I would say maybe you shouldnt until they can handle it better but really I have never heard a Dr. say this.
  • norahsmommy
    October 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    If you give babies what you eat they grow to love a wide variety of foods and flavors. Nothing wrong with a little spice ;)
  • myempyreofdirt
    October 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    In general I think it's fine as long as it's not face melting hot. We avoid spicy foods with my 9 month old, but he has reflux so it's necessary for him.
  • wonderstruck11
    My DD loves spice food(almost 2). She eats salsa and jalapeƱos and can't get enough!
  • anonymouss
    Well, it is her kid. I wouldn't say you were wrong, but if you did it again, then you'd be wrong.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts