Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Confession s/o I'm so cheap...
by Anonymous
October 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I'm so cheap I buy my textbooks used then I sell them for same or more than what I bought them for :O 

Replies

• MixedCooke
    October 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM

not cheap, thats frugal and smart because textbooks are quite expensive and sometimes they switch to the new edition so now the textbook you just paid $200 for, you'll be lucky to get $20!

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 10, 2013 at 2:15 AM
    I absolutely did the same thing. I made like a 400% profit on my psych book.
  • thefiregoddess
    October 10, 2013 at 2:18 AM
    I did it too. I made 200$ profit selling one of my natural chem books
  • tiniowien
    October 10, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Luckily my text books are covered..unless I lose them (all ebooks) then I get to buy a copy..one of my books was $300 

• Sassy762
    October 10, 2013 at 2:21 AM

The Difference Between Frugal and Cheap

By Erik Folgate

Ever since I have been more passionate about personal finance and managing my money, I have noticed that there are different definitions of being cheap and being frugal, depending on who you talk to. When my wife and I started telling people that we couldn’t go on vacation, because we were paying off debt, or that we don’t use credit cards, they looked at us funny. When we clip coupons and go to the $1.50 movie theater, some people laugh at us. We’ve never been heckled about it, but we’ve definitely heard the “you only live once” line when we tell people that we are saving money or paying off debt before we spend it on a major purchase.

So, for what it’s worth, here’s my definition of frugal and cheap

Frugal

• Looking for deals and taking advantage of sales and promotions when you were already planning on purchasing something
    • Delaying pleasure and instant gratification to make a big purchase
    • Not making a point to tell friends and family every time you saved money
    • Not obsessed with brands
    • Does not sacrifice quality to buy something only because it is cheaper

Cheap

• Your cheapness affects the quality of life of others such as spouse or family
    • Your basic needs are of lesser quality
    • You never splurge a little when you have the money to spend
    • You will sacrifice quality to buy what is the cheapest
  • leksismommy
    October 10, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Thank you for that clarification, many do not understand the difference.

Quoting Sassy762:

The Difference Between Frugal and Cheap

By Erik Folgate

Ever since I have been more passionate about personal finance and managing my money, I have noticed that there are different definitions of being cheap and being frugal, depending on who you talk to. When my wife and I started telling people that we couldn’t go on vacation, because we were paying off debt, or that we don’t use credit cards, they looked at us funny. When we clip coupons and go to the $1.50 movie theater, some people laugh at us. We’ve never been heckled about it, but we’ve definitely heard the “you only live once” line when we tell people that we are saving money or paying off debt before we spend it on a major purchase.

So, for what it’s worth, here’s my definition of frugal and cheap

Frugal

• Looking for deals and taking advantage of sales and promotions when you were already planning on purchasing something
    • Delaying pleasure and instant gratification to make a big purchase
    • Not making a point to tell friends and family every time you saved money
    • Not obsessed with brands
    • Does not sacrifice quality to buy something only because it is cheaper

Cheap

• Your cheapness affects the quality of life of others such as spouse or family
    • Your basic needs are of lesser quality
    • You never splurge a little when you have the money to spend
    • You will sacrifice quality to buy what is the cheapest

• ff-princess
    October 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I rented mine.  it came new in the packaging, and it was $35 instead of $85.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts