Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
tattooedmama333
parents of preteens and teens on meds for
October 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

depression , psychosis, schizophrenia or anything like that. 

Have you found the right combination yet? If so, how long did it take?

What age did your child start taking them?

Have you had issues with suicidal thoughts in your child?

What side effects has your child experienced? 

I may have more questions when I think of them. My oldest DD may have to start on meds, I am talking with her Dr and shrink about it.....

Replies

• tattooedmama333
    October 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

BUMP!

• imacafemomer
    October 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    Im in the same place as you so heres a bump
  • tattooedmama333
    October 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Thank you!

Quoting imacafemomer:

Im in the same place as you so heres a bump

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    October 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I'm not dealing with this as a parent but I was that child growing up. I had severe depression and anxiety issues, I was even hospitalized at one point. The best advice I can give is to be involved. REALLY watch and listen to your daughter, notice any changes in her behavior/mood. Some meds make depression worse, causing suicidal thoughts. Watch for that and be ready to call the doc or even hospitalize her if need be.

Get her fresh air, sunlight, and exercise each day if you can. Buy healthy food choices and see if you can't get her on to a vitamin/supplement regimen as well. Vitamins work, I no longer have to take any prescription meds as an adult because of them. Get a good multivitamin and go from there. No energy? Buy a B-Complex. Fish oil helps with depression, Evening Primrose Oil helps with PMDD and PMS, Niacin helps with depression, D3 helps with depression and SAD. 

• tattooedmama333
    October 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Living in WA state is HORRIBLE for people with depression. Can't get outside much in the fall and winter, it is often dark almost all day. She is not on meds yet but I have already taken all weapons and put them in our safe, I hide all razors and when she shaves her legs I sit in the bathroom, I have all kitchen knives and all sowing stuff, basically anything she can harm herself with put away where she can't get it. 

She tells me she hears voices and that one tells her she needs to be with her Aunt Mary who died 4 years ago this month.

When I was a teen I went through some bad depression, cut myself and tried to kill myself twice. Once I got caught and the other time ended up in the ER drinking charcoal. That is what gave me my heart condition that I now have. I have told her about this stuff so she knows I have been there and I know what she is going through. I was never put on meds cause I was able to hide the cuts and I was able to convince my mom that I was not going to kill myself. I have learned how to cope and deal on my own. I have not cut in over 10 years and I have not even thought about killing myself since I was about 18. 

Is there anything else you can think of I should be doing? Or for that matter anything it seems I may not be doing right?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not dealing with this as a parent but I was that child growing up. I had severe depression and anxiety issues, I was even hospitalized at one point. The best advice I can give is to be involved. REALLY watch and listen to your daughter, notice any changes in her behavior/mood. Some meds make depression worse, causing suicidal thoughts. Watch for that and be ready to call the doc or even hospitalize her if need be.

Get her fresh air, sunlight, and exercise each day if you can. Buy healthy food choices and see if you can't get her on to a vitamin/supplement regimen as well. Vitamins work, I no longer have to take any prescription meds as an adult because of them. Get a good multivitamin and go from there. No energy? Buy a B-Complex. Fish oil helps with depression, Evening Primrose Oil helps with PMDD and PMS, Niacin helps with depression, D3 helps with depression and SAD. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    October 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

You could try a sun lamp. They're special bulbs that are like the sun, giving vitamin D through the skin during the winter months. 

Quoting tattooedmama333:

Living in WA state is HORRIBLE for people with depression. Can't get outside much in the fall and winter, it is often dark almost all day. She is not on meds yet but I have already taken all weapons and put them in our safe, I hide all razors and when she shaves her legs I sit in the bathroom, I have all kitchen knives and all sowing stuff, basically anything she can harm herself with put away where she can't get it. 

She tells me she hears voices and that one tells her she needs to be with her Aunt Mary who died 4 years ago this month.

When I was a teen I went through some bad depression, cut myself and tried to kill myself twice. Once I got caught and the other time ended up in the ER drinking charcoal. That is what gave me my heart condition that I now have. I have told her about this stuff so she knows I have been there and I know what she is going through. I was never put on meds cause I was able to hide the cuts and I was able to convince my mom that I was not going to kill myself. I have learned how to cope and deal on my own. I have not cut in over 10 years and I have not even thought about killing myself since I was about 18. 

Is there anything else you can think of I should be doing? Or for that matter anything it seems I may not be doing right?

Quoting Anonymous:

• tattooedmama333
    October 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Good idea, I am sure it will benefit all of us.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could try a sun lamp. They're special bulbs that are like the sun, giving vitamin D through the skin during the winter months. 

Quoting tattooedmama333:

Quoting Anonymous:

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I was the kid on depression medication. It took 4 years, and two suicide attempts to figure out the right combo.

• tattooedmama333
    October 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Oh man, I'm sorry!

Quoting Anonymous:

I was the kid on depression medication. It took 4 years, and two suicide attempts to figure out the right combo.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts