Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Wdyd when teacher sends home a note for behavior?
by Anonymous
September 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM
The past 3 days she has made a comment that my dd has been talkative. Dd is in big trouble but I don't know what to write back. I just sign it as I'm supposed to.

Replies

• fatcat0908
    September 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    You acknowledge that you will/have talked to your child at home about the behavior and ask if there is anything else you can be doing/saying to your child to help remedy the behavior in the classroom.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    September 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    I am very embarrassed by it. I can't believe my child is the bad kid in class.

Quoting fatcat0908:

You acknowledge that you will/have talked to your child at home about the behavior and ask if there is anything else you can be doing/saying to your child to help remedy the behavior in the classroom.

• Cmgmqmmom
    September 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM

The few times my son acted up in kindergarten, I would acknowledge the note by writing something along the lines of "Thank you for making me aware that _______ acted up in school. We have decided that the best way to handle that at home is to (insert consequence here). Please let me know if you have any other issues so we may continue to address them together."

I just liked to let his teacher know that we took it seriously and were doing our part. She appreciated it. It's not necessary, but I think it's important to make sure that dialogue between teacher and parent is open.

• bleumonster
    September 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    It always depended. Sometimes I wrote a note back, sometimes I asked for a meeting, sometimes I just signed. It depended on what the offense was, whether it was ongoing or one time and if my child admitted it or denied it (meeting if chronic or big offense especially if denying).
  • sam12796
    September 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM

How old is your child. Can the child write? Have the child write an apology to the teacher. Mine got in trouble for this a lot last year. This year only twice. I made her write fifty times I will not talk in class. She is in first grade. I also discussed with her daily the importance of doing her work and raising her hand. Her issue mostly was shouting out he answers. I told her the teacher has a job to do and when she is talking she can not hear instructions or she is disrupting the class making it hard for the class to learn. I also told her the teacher has to give everyone a chance to speak so she knows who knows the answers and who needs more practice. So far we have had 2 good weeks in a row. Just keep communicating with your child. Hope it gets better.

• she_walk_softly

No biggie, maybe she is just excited. She is not hitting or cussing...lol she is not the bad kid in class. Just remind her to raise her hand before talking and wait until free time to talk with her friends.

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    Don't be. Talkative doesn't necessarily mean bad.

I agree with fatcat's advice

Quoting Anonymous:

I am very embarrassed by it. I can't believe my child is the bad kid in class.

Quoting fatcat0908:

• sam12796
    September 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I would also find out if it is a certain person they are chatty with? Can the teacher move the child closer to her desk to help possibly minimize the distractions? We had to do this with my daughter as well. She was academically doing fabulous and would finish and be bored. I only punished her for being rude or disrespectful. By loss of toys and priviledges. I just talked and had her write sorry notes when she got to the point where she could write.

• alexsmomaubrys2
    September 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM

You acknowledge that you understand there is a problem and then tell her what you are doing at home to help break her of this habit. Then apologize. 

I make my kids write an appology letter as well and send it back with the note. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

How old is she? If she's older then 2nd grade I would take my butt to school and sit with her for the whole day to keep her on task otherwise I'd wait till she got home and make her get all her talking out on me, no silence, no nothing, she would sit and talk until she was all talked out -and then hopefully she might get the picture that school is not for talking. Worked with my DD lol - she got so sick of HAVING to talk that by the time she saw her friends all her news was old news because I made her tell it to me so many times :P

Mom Confessions