Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
What level of involvement do you have in your child's school
by Anonymous
September 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I have a kindergartner this year. My parents had zero involvement in my school and I always felt excluded from things. Earlier this week there was a form that went home asking for $3 for a bag of popcorn. I thought to myself, um no. 

That day I went to pick my daughter up and I saw a little boy crying. His mom was on the phone telling the person how he was crying that he didn't get popcorn. I noticed all the kids coming out had their bags in hand and I prepared myself. We're a GMO limited and Organic family whenever possible so I figured I would tell her the popcorn was GMO and she'd be fine but I was praying that she wouldn't be crying.

She came out skipping and I was relieved, then on the walk home I was impressed my our conversation.

She told me that next time she would like me to send money to school so she can have popcorn. I explained the popcorn was gmo and she said "That's alright mom, I don't even have to eat it but I felt bad when everyone got a bag except me"

Point taken. Now there is a fundraiser sent home today if you sell 7 items you get to attend a BMX bike show. I know the guy putting on the show and they must have talked to the kids about him because she was reciting some of his moves. The fundraiser isn't set up for door to door, it's for family. My family isn't going to buy this stuff. I'll have DH bring it to work, but in the end I know I'll be buying stuff to get her to that 7 items mark.

Where will this end though? I'll be poor by the end of the year if she's included in every single thing but at the same time I remeber as a kid that the good students were always part of everything like that, and their mothers were at the school and people we knew.

How involved are you? Do you buy fundraiser stuff and popcorn and every little thing the school asks for? We're going to an ice cream social today at 4 pm. Ice cream is a dollar a bowl. lol

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    September 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM

bump

• lapcounter
    September 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Our school doesn't do fundraising. If they take a trip I am asked to go, if they need baking done for Halloween or Christmas I am asked to do it.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    September 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Our school seems to only want money and hands on volunteering. I have a little one not in school yet so I can't really help out at the school

Quoting lapcounter:

Our school doesn't do fundraising. If they take a trip I am asked to go, if they need baking done for Halloween or Christmas I am asked to do it.

• cLanief
    by cLanief
    September 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    I do what I can afford. Popcorn fridays are a quarter. Shit. Its friday! My bad. But umm I don't do fundraisers, theyre way too expensive and such crap. But Iodo box tops and what I can.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2

We don't do fundraisers at all. We just donate an appropriate amount. Also, if they talked to my kid about prizes for selling, I'd be pissed. My children will not be a part of those assemblies and we will continue to refuse fundraisers.

• christina0607

We do absolutely no fund raisers that are sent home for the school.

However if they are selling somehting in the school, like icecream, I may purchase it. 

• Liastele

Thankfully our PTA funds the schools needs and fundraisers for the students are pretty much unheard of.  I'd be annoyed if we constantly were asked to buy stuff. All of the food available at school functions is always free and they simply order school shirts and stuff for all of the kids every year and they just magically come home one day. I have never asked where all of the money comes from, but I am guessing there are simply a bunch of generous parents that take care of it to avoid the fundraiser a week annoyance.

• LCWAmommy
    I don't do the fundraisers I am involved by helping out and keeping in contact with the teachers. My oldest never sold one thing for a fundraiser and is an amazing student she is in all honors classes and marching band and theater. I am involved in fundraising for the band because they don't get funded by the school and have a very small budget fundraising is how they are able to go to competitions and get things they need to be successful.
    You can help out at book fairs be involved in PTA events and join school site counsel, help out in the classroom if you are able and plan crafts for holiday parties.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    September 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Level 5000000000!

• KyliesMom5
    September 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Everytime, those fundraisers come home I want to just send them back and tell them we won't participate. But of course, my daughter is exicited about the prizes. So I end up buying a couple of things (usually just wrapping paper) and then let her show it to a few people.  I won't particisipate in all of the fundraisers throughout the year. The other one I usually do is Jump rope for heart. Last year, the school did one of those fundraisers that you brought home a box of candy bars and if the kids did not sell all of them I had to buy them. I signed the paper stating we would not be participating. I had to wonder how many actually did that one.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN