Mom Confessions

inspain
I'm cooking bacon, not meth. Your kid can't get a contact high from my meat. *an edit for clarity ;-)
by inspain
September 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Last night, one of DD's friends slept over.  Her family is vegan/vegetarian (mom is the strict one).  I served the kids homemade mac and cheese last night and broccoli steamed with butter and they ate chcolate ice cream after that.  (I think they may have eaten two liters, I don't even want to know for sure.)  This morning I made cinnamon pancakes and bacon.  DD's friend gobbled up a ton of pancakes and had me recite the recipe so she could write it down for her mom.  LOL, I didn't tell her, but I know her mom would rather gouge out her own eyes than make pancakes.  But the kid seemed happy, mom came and got her, ate a pancake while she was here and hung out for a bit.  She knows we eat meat and that we often serve meat when her DD is over, but that I always go out of my way to make sure her DD has a nice, meatless choice.  

So, just now, a friend rings me up and tells me that her DD had a friend over last night too.  Same deal, family is vegetarian.  But she tells me that the parents came to pick up the kid and they flipped out when they heard from their DD that the family had served sausages and eggs for breakfast.  Their DD had fruit and cereal and eggs.  No one even offered her meat.  The dad told her that he thought is was very rude and inconsiderate of her to eat meat in front of their kid.  I understand the "meat is murder" thing even came up.  I told my friend our vegan/vegetrians don't act like that.  

So, if you're vegan or vegetarian, do you have an issue with your kids being "exposed" to meat eaters and their "kill"?  LOL.  I'm thinking my friend just ran into some loonies.  I don't think that's the normal behavior for most non meat-eaters, but what the Hell do I know.  

*Just FYI:  The kids in both houses were/are vegetarians, not vegans, therefore, the eggs and ice cream were perfectly acceptable.  I know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian.  ;-)

Replies

• inspain
    by inspain
    September 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

BUMP!

• KGreen75
    September 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    My brother and his girlfriend are strict vegetarians (used to be vegans). They don't care if people eat meat around them.
  • Foolynroo2
    September 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM

alot of vegans and vegetarians dont eat eggs, or any animal products like milk or cheese.

• Lizard_Lina
    Never met a vegan like that
  • SyllabaryBisque
    *puts down cheeseburger*

I think it's rude that they would throw a fit like that. Big friggin' deal.

*picks up cheeseburger and continues to chew slowly*
  • paganbaby
    September 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No, not al all,lol. Those parents were loonies...

• disneymom2two
    September 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I have friends who are vegetarian.  They never appear to care if I eat meat with them; they keep coming out to dinner with me so I'm assuming it doesn't offend them too much.

• DanaG70
    by DanaG70
    September 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I would be pissed if any parents called me and chewed me out for feeding meat to my family while their kid was there.

To answer your question, my daughter has several friends that are vegetarians, not a single one of them have a problem with meat being served, they just don't partake in that part of the meal. They just eat the vegetarian portion of the meal. ( I make sure that when they join us for meals to offer a wide range of food)

• inspain
    by inspain
    September 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

The kids, in both cases, are being raised vegetarians.  The mom of DD's friend is vegan, but she's not a pain in the ass about it.  Actually, I have to say, my own experience, she's one of the few vegans that isn't a pain in the ass.  But as far as her kid goes, she eats eggs and dairy, so it's relatively simple to provides something she'll eat.  My friend tells me it's the dad that's the vegan in her case and he was a total ass about them serving any animal products.  She told him that she wasn't told that the kid had any food restrictions and, at age 12, she just assumed the kid would tell her if she did.  He told her that "other families are much kinder about our needs"  LOL.  Um, yeah, okay.  

I'm just wondering if, maybe, there might be an issue with that kid wanting to branch our a bit.  Maybe even rebel, food-wise?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Never met a vegan like that

• rosemagic01
    September 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I had a friend in high school who would moo or other animal noises if I ate meat in front of her. It would piss her off when I would laugh at her and didn't let it bother me. 

Secretly it did though. I stopped eating beef for a good 2 years or so but I couldn't give up chicken. Thankfully we weren't close enough for her to notice

Mom Confessions