Mom Confessions

davnrori
My son has chickenpox! **ETA
September 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

And I'm hoping my other two get it, lol.

ETA: Since a lot of you are asking: No, I did not vax against chicken pox. The varicella vaccine is only 85-97% effective against all forms (mild-severe) of varicella. There is no good evidence on how long the varicella vaccine lasts but most doctors agree that it is anywhere between 10-20 years. What they don't tell you unless you ask is that adults are by far more likely to get a severe infection than children and that infants and adults have the highest rate of death from varicella.

Does chicken pox lead to shingles as an adult: Yes, it can. If you have chickenpox then the shingles virus is in your body. Does it always occur? No, it doesn't. There is no evidence that the shingles virus affects 100% of the people who have had chicken pox.

I am neither rabidly pro nor anti-vax. My children have had the MMR and DTAP but have never gotten the flu or varicella vaccines.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Wow...
  • nazgor
    by nazgor
    September 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    ok
  • graciesnycmama
    September 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    Ok...
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Why

• KelliansMom
    I got that stuff twice growing up lol. My poor sister has also gotten shingles too. Hope it passes through your house quickly.
  • thenameshailie

They probably will

• jakesmom323
    September 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Do you vax? Just curious (I'm not a Psycho advocate;) I got chicken pox reaaaaal bad when I was about 5 and now vulnerable to shingles when I get older. We talked about if kids even get it anymore and if vaxed, is it mild? Just curious what happened and your story. Don't know what to expect
  • LokisMama

Stock up on oatmeal baths and calamine lotion!

My sis and I both got it within like a week of either other.  Have any of yours had the chicken pox vaccine?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Glad my kids have never gotten it!! I remember having them and it sucked!!!
  • alexsmomaubrys2

Ugg. Poor thing. =( 

Were they vaccinated? <-- A question, not a bash. 

Mom Confessions