Mom Confessions

Anonymous
It says "rsvp to ..." for a reason! Update!
by Anonymous
September 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My sister and best friend are throwing me a baby shower. It was SUPPOSED to be a suprise...but apparently people in the south are total dumbasses. The invitation said it was a SURPRISE baby shower and to RSVP to my sister or my best friend by a certain date. Well my cousin told me she's coming to my shower. I said what shower? She said your baby shower, I lost the invite so I don't know the phone number. Oh. Well I didn't know I was even having a shower. 

So the secret got out and I know. No big deal I am so excited and thankful, I'm just a little bummed I didn't get a suprise lol that would of been fun. Now, the day before the shower, I've had 6 people message me all within an hour saying "hey I'll be there tomorrow, forgot to RSVP". They KNOW the people throwing the shower, they have them on FB and most have their phone #'s. Why is telling the hostess of a party so difficult? I RSVP the second I get an invite and mark it on my calender, IF I can go. 

Grrr.

So do you guys RSVP or not?

Holy Crap, this made front page! Wooooo! lol 

Update: Shower was yesterday. We had an amazing turnout, and the shower was perfect. My hostesses busted butt and made it the best thing in the world. As far as RSVP's the cousin that first ruined the surprise didn't even show up, two people who didn't RSVP came and they bought guests who weren't invited (two people I've never seen in my life). Only one person who did RSVP didn't come but I totally understand her reason. The shower was just fantastic and we had a lot of fun and got a lot of awesome things for our lil man. 

Replies

• ballerina18
    September 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I always RSVP. I think it's rude/inconsiderate not to RSVP.

For my dd's 6th b-day party I sent out save the dates 4 weeks in advance and invitations saying to rsvp 2 weeks in advance. I only had 3 ppl who rsvp'd right away. I ended up callign everyone else like 2 or 3 days before the party to see if they were coming. =/ uggh

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM

No, I am pretty much a fail at this stuff. I have good intentions but terrible follow through.

• Sarah321
    September 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

wow that is nuts...people are idiots in general with rsvp's...every year for my kids birthday parties, parents either don't say their kid is coming and bring them anyway, or wait till the day before the party to say they are coming, or rsvp and then don't show up. So frustrating when you have to plan things like goodie bags and tell the venue how many ppl are coming. To ruin a surprise like that is crazy though, and to have so many people do it....I bet they feel dumb for doing that. well at least it sounds like you have a lot of people coming, have fun at your shower!

• ramita
    by ramita
    September 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    I do RSVP, and I make sure I do it through the hostess.
  • elephantmamaof2
    September 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

People are insanely inconsiderate when it comes to rsvping!

• SyllabaryBisque

I always RSVP.

• vegaswife2011

Yes I do. 

• Roxygurl
    September 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    It has nothing to do with the south. Sigh.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    September 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I have to do this with every birthday party we have. It's irritating so I stopped sending invites to most people and only invite people I KNOW will show up. Last year we only had about 6 RSVP's and I planned for about 10-12 adults and kids including my own and DH and I. I kid you not we had FORTY people show. It was a madhouse and DH had to run out and get more food and plates, thank goodness the store is right down the street.

On another note, the year before the party was at Chuck E Cheese. We had about 20 kids that RSVP'd...only 5 showed up. Saved us money since they charge by the kid after a certain number but it was embarassing for me and disappointing for my kids. 

Quoting ballerina18:

I always RSVP. I think it's rude/inconsiderate not to RSVP.

For my dd's 6th b-day party I sent out save the dates 4 weeks in advance and invitations saying to rsvp 2 weeks in advance. I only had 3 ppl who rsvp'd right away. I ended up callign everyone else like 2 or 3 days before the party to see if they were coming. =/ uggh

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

R.S.V.P. stands for a French phrase, "répondez, s'il vous plaît," which means "please reply." 

Just like "Thank you" notes/cards, this tradition has sadly started to decline. 

Mom Confessions