Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
smiller8008
bedwetting 6yo
September 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Hi everyone,

I just joined cafe mom.  We have a lovely 6 year old only daughter who's very quick to remind everyone she's almost 7.  She just started first grade.

She still wets the bed every night.  The doctor says she's a little young to try an alarm or medication, and would rather wait a couple years before trying that.  We limit fluids (only a sip or two of water after dinner), and have tried waking her up without much success. 

She wears goodnites, but they only keep the bed dry about half the time, so it doesn't help that much with laundry.  Anyone else have a child that still wets, and/or any clever ideas to help it stop, or at least reduce the laundry?

Susan

Replies

• smiller8008
    September 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

BUMP!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    My sd was totally potty trained and picked bed wetting back up around age 8 drove me crazy, we did drink limitations, diapers etc nothing worked, even set alarms so she would get up and go and every night she would pee the bed, after going to therapy they suggested she was intentionally doing it and told us to pic up a baby aspirin and give it to her nightly before bed, but the trick was to tell her it's a special pill to make her stop wetting the bed...and it worked!!!!!! We continued with the aspirin for a few months until we were sure it was over, we never got to the bottom of why she was doing it until later on she said she was mad all the time
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

My 8 yr old boy wets the bed.  His brain doesn't produce enough ADH which helps concentrate urine at night.  He takes a pill about a half hour before bed and it's helped soooooo much.  Most mornings he wakes up completely dry.  It's more common than one would think. 

Before, I put a plastic sheet on his matteress and also would put a wet mat down on the sheets.  It helped a little. 

• smiller8008
    September 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Hmm - that's a thought, but she's never been dry at night so I don't know if the placebo idea would work.  Guess it can't hurt.  And did you say diapers, do you mean baby diaper or pull-ups/goodnites?

Quoting Anonymous:

My sd was totally potty trained and picked bed wetting back up around age 8 drove me crazy, we did drink limitations, diapers etc nothing worked, even set alarms so she would get up and go and every night she would pee the bed, after going to therapy they suggested she was intentionally doing it and told us to pic up a baby aspirin and give it to her nightly before bed, but the trick was to tell her it's a special pill to make her stop wetting the bed...and it worked!!!!!! We continued with the aspirin for a few months until we were sure it was over, we never got to the bottom of why she was doing it until later on she said she was mad all the time

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    September 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

If a doctor has checked her out and she is physically healthy its time to see a psychologist. 

• smiller8008
    September 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Our doctor says she's a little young to try medication... but that if still happening when she's 8 or 9 we could try it.  And yeah, we have a mattress cover.  Doesn't help with the laundry, though.

Quoting Anonymous:

My 8 yr old boy wets the bed.  His brain doesn't produce enough ADH which helps concentrate urine at night.  He takes a pill about a half hour before bed and it's helped soooooo much.  Most mornings he wakes up completely dry.  It's more common than one would think. 

Before, I put a plastic sheet on his matteress and also would put a wet mat down on the sheets.  It helped a little. 

• fullxbusymom
    September 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yup and there is nothing you can do till she outgrows it.  There is no magic trick and it is completely normal and a doctor won't do anything till she nears puberty.

• myangels2
    September 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Some kids are just bed wetters. I had two....my SD was 10 when she stopped and one of my DSs was 8.

I've never made a big deal out of it as long as they helped with changing sheets and washing up at night. Both my kids at about age 5-6 would get up, strip their beds, and wash up while I put clean sheets on. No biggie...:)
  • smiller8008
    September 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Really?  We asked our doctor about that, but he said it was pretty common at 6/7, and didn't recommend seeing a psychologist unless she started wetting after being dry for a while (which isn't the case with us).

Quoting Anonymous:

If a doctor has checked her out and she is physically healthy its time to see a psychologist. 

• smiller8008
    September 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

That's kind of what I thought - any suggestions for helping with the laundry then :)?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yup and there is nothing you can do till she outgrows it.  There is no magic trick and it is completely normal and a doctor won't do anything till she nears puberty.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts