Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
gwebkeijmmm
I think they're crazy. Do you?
August 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Why should a fast food worker make more than a probation/parole officer, CNA, receptionist, daycare provider... the  list goes on... 

If you don't want to be paid like a high school kid, strive for a better job. Or just get out so someone who actually wants a job can work. This striking is ridiculous. Now, I'm not completely against them, I think $9 an hour would be reasonable AFTER they put in some time, but just starting out, no. 

Hundreds of protesters across the US marched Thursday to demand higher wages for fast-food workers, forcing the closure of one McDonald's in Detroit after its employees walked out.  

The protests are underway in cities including New York, Boston and Chicago, and organizers are expecting the biggest national walkouts yet.

A McDonald's restaurant in Detroit closed Thursday morning as workers and protesters chanted "hey hey, ho ho, $7.40's got to go," outside, WJBK reports.

In New York, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn joined about 300 to 400 protesters in a march before flooding inside a McDonald's near the Empire State Building on Thursday morning. Shortly after the demonstration, however, the restaurant seemed to be operating normally and a few customers said they hadn't heard of the movement. The same was true at a McDonald's a few blocks away.

The lack of awareness among some illustrates the challenge workers face. Participating workers, who are asking for $15 an hour, still represent a tiny fraction of the industry. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, which works out to about $15,000 a year for full-time employees.

The movement comes amid calls from the White House, some members of Congress and economists to hike the federal minimum wage. But most proposals seek a far more modest increase than the one workers are asking for, with President Barack Obama wanting to boost it to $9 an hour.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29/fast-food-workers-to-strike-nationwide-over-wages/#ixzz2dOqHDQZE

Replies

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    August 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    Did you graduate high school? No offense but it might be a while before you finish vet school.

Quoting KristiBeth8811:

Really? Then point me in the direction of that! I want to be a Vet. and I have been doing a lot of research looking for ways to pay for college but guess what? There aren't that many out there, Especially one that I qualify for! SO.. PLEASE point me to the FREE Vet school.

You are all delusional to think that just because they work at a fast food place that they aren't educated. Maybe if min. wage was raised to a much more fair price for the amount of work, then those of you with a college education might get paid more too! It's not like the thing can't work both ways!

Quoting Anonymous:

In that income bracket they practically get school for free.

Quoting KristiBeth8811:

You do realize that the cost of living is way way higher than what min. wage is and if you work 40 hours a week (which 90% places won't give anymore cause of the new health care law) you would still be living pay check to paycheck. And you do realize also of course that a college education is very expensive and most people in our economy can't afford to eat so how would they afford school? Also, I know you can have your opinion but I think you should look at the other facts.. If min. wage had gone up with the amount of productivity that employers expect then min wage would be around 23.00 an hour!

• KristiBeth8811
    August 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I'm sure it would. But how much has the cost of living gone up since it was raised last? That's how the economy works right?

Quoting -JellyfishEgg-:

If everyone's wages were raised wouldn't it mean that cost of living would go up as well? Would't that leave them in the same position as they're in now?
  • Anonymous 9
    by Anonymous 9
    August 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

if they got paid that much, think of all the single parents who wouldn't have to rely on food stamps anymore

• MrS.GiFFord
    August 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Because fast food jobs are not just for teens anymore.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    August 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Quoting brysonsmommy_10:

This would be perfect for me because I'm a weirdo that actually loves office work. LOL.  Before I decided to stay home with my son, I was a loan clerk at a small town bank.  I loved that I was able to plan my day by what needed to get done with minimal help.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brysonsmommy_10:

Off topic, but I've been considering taken a medical office administration program that includes coding.  Since you do this for a living, do you think it would be worth it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree, they are crazy. I am a medical coder, I had to go to school, keep up with continuing education credits to keep my crudentials and I make $13 an hour. They are seriously delusional.

Yes, I do administrative work also, I am the medical adminstrative assistant in my office and I also do coding to back up the main coder. However to be honest, had I known how incredibly boring an office job would be I would have never done it. I went into it because its Mon-Fri, so I can be home for my kids after they get out of school, and I thought healthcare because of the job security. I use to manage retail and I would so go back to in in a heartbeat if not for my kiddos. I love the fact that I am home nights and weekend and have all holidays off. Just hate the dull day to day stuff. But it could be worse right? :) Sorry to kinda rant, I just like to be honest.

Then you should go for it! It would be perfect for you. I just love the on my feet going non stop kinda thing. In the store I worked in I would be helping customers, unloading trucks, make purchase orders. It was kinda non-stop all day everyday, and I loved the people! So it was hard for me to adjust. I am just one of those high strung kinda people and sitting in an office at a desk makes me feel like I am being punished, but I know its just me and I am a weirdo in that way. :)

• nelliesmommy
    August 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I agree.

• Anonymous 10
    by Anonymous 10
    August 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I don't think what they make concerns you directly and I also think you have a rather twisted perception of how difficult it truly is to make a living. 

I mean this without any disrespect to anyone working in the fast food service industry but the adult individuals who work there are typically individuals who aren't very educated or intelligent. That doesn't mean they're without intelligence just that the food service industry may be the only skilled trade they have, looking for a better, high paying job may be beyond their intellectual ability. You don't think these individuals deserve a better pay or because their intelligence level is low they're restricted to earning BELOW the median poverty line? 

My brother has struggled intellectually, academically and socially his entire life. While he is capable of living on his own and caring for himself it's difficult to do so on the salary he makes at the only type of job he can do and do well. It's not likely he'll ever make management but he's a hard and capable worker and I do feel he deserves to earn more than minimum wage. Maybe it's difficult for you to see outside your own view of the world, but realize that for some this is all they can do- they deserve better than to be treated poorly and paid so little. 

• Anonymous 11
    by Anonymous 11
    August 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Even if the minimum wage kept up with inflation since it peaked in real value in the late 1960s, low-wage workers should be earning a minimum of $10.52 an hour.

• Anonymous 12
    by Anonymous 12
    August 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Well giving them money for a job that doesn't deserve that kind of money fixes nothing, just creates more issues for our country.

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Because fast food jobs are not just for teens anymore.

• supermama322
    August 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

*shrugs* Minimum wage is 10$/hour here.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN