Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
are you one of those parents?
by Anonymous
August 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Who say "oh we can't watch that, it MIGHT scare my kid"

IMO I say give it a chance, let the child be the judge if Its scary or not. I don't want my child growing up being a big scardy cat of EVERYTHING around him. My 3 year old has watched the walking dead with us and he absolutely loves it. My mom gives me grief about this all the time! It irritates me, she's even kicked him out of the room because she was watching a "scary" show. Something he probably wouldnt pay attention to, or understand ,let alone get scared. It just bugs me that she does this. My younger brother who is 7 wouldn't watch Thomas the train with my son because he says there's a part that scares him. Is it just me or is that ridiculous??

Replies

• momto2boys973
    August 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes, I'm on of those parents who knows what her children are ready to process and understand and avoid exposing them to those things they can't yet. SIlly me, I guess I should just let my 7 year old watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and see if it scares him or not in order not to make him a wuss....

• ColtsFan1912
    August 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I know what scares my kids so there are things I won't even let them attempt to watch right now. Heck my daughter use to be terrifed of the minions on despicable me so we wouldn't watch it. one day she saw a picture of them & declared them funny & now she's ok with them hehe

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    August 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Hey every parent to their own. I wasn't trying to sound judgy. I just think my brother is going to have some troubles later because of this. Now theres a big difference to Texas chainsaw massacre and Thomas the tank engine lol

Quoting momto2boys973:

Yes, I'm on of those parents who knows what her children are ready to process and understand and avoid exposing them to those things they can't yet. SIlly me, I guess I should just let my 7 year old watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and see if it scares him or not in order not to make him a wuss....

• vegaswife2011
    August 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Lol, nope! 

• Anonymous
    August 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    So you didn't rule the movie out of your house forever! You let her try and gave her a chance. My mom gave me all her Disney movies because my brother is terrified of every one!

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I know what scares my kids so there are things I won't even let them attempt to watch right now. Heck my daughter use to be terrifed of the minions on despicable me so we wouldn't watch it. one day she saw a picture of them & declared them funny & now she's ok with them hehe

• bleumonster
    August 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Have you ever had a kid that slept with a baseball bat for 3 months? Was too scared to fall asleep by himself? Then yes you would monitor what they watched. Dang kid kept watching scary movies at other people's houses and I had to deal with the fall out.
  • NoahandEliza
    August 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    No. My 2yo watches Supernatural with me every morning. She tells me it's time to watch Sam and Dean. I'll just have a kid that isn't scared of ghosts or monsters. My 8yo doesn't have much interest in stuff I watch, but he has seen a few scary movies and watched the SyFy marathon of mutant shark movies a few weeks ago.
  • Cozie_Sisika458
    August 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Yes I am one of those parents. I do not see the point in letting little kids watch stuff that will disturb their sleep. They can't process it and understand it like adults or teens can. You can tell them it's not real till you're blue in the face, don't mean they will not get upset later over it. Nothing wrong with keeping them innocent longer. It's not making them scardy cats your bother is just more sensitive and would react even worse if your parents did let him watch horror crap. SMH
  • Anonymous
    August 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    Well that makes me sad, I'm sorry that happened. That's what I'm saying I would never want my kid so scared that he couldn't sleep... I feel us letting him be exposed to certain things so young will help me avoid that. But hey I'm no expert lol I do understand and agree all kids are different and can handle different things at their own pace!

Quoting bleumonster:

Have you ever had a kid that slept with a baseball bat for 3 months? Was too scared to fall asleep by himself? Then yes you would monitor what they watched. Dang kid kept watching scary movies at other people's houses and I had to deal with the fall out.

• VannaMae307
    August 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

omg definitely not.

my nieces and nephews watched nothing but veggie tales until they were over 10 years old. my niece watched sleeping beauty and got scared. I vowed to never let that happen to my own child. lol

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts