Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Razzle_Dazzle1
A stray dog earned herself a new home...*Small Update*
August 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM

My cousin just told me about this when I talked to her this afternoon. She doesn't live near me.

She was driving in the car with her 6 year old son and her 5 month old daughter. She was driving on the road beside the river. She was going a little fast and not really paying attention. She was fussing at her sun, who was nagging for something in the back seat. She hit a sharp curve going a little too fast and lost control of the car and crashed into the river (this is all very fuzzy to her. She isn't really sure what happened exactly. It all happened so fast). The car was filling up with water very fast and her only thoughts were for her terrified children. She told her son to unbuckle and she turned around to unbuckle the baby. Using her emergency electric window breaker thingy (I'm not sure what they are called) she busted the window and water started to pour in faster. She knew that her son could swim and the shore wasn't very far. She helped him out and held onto the baby. She told him to swim but he was sucked into the current that was too strong for him. The water was too deep and she could barely keep her own head above the water while holding onto the baby. The car was completely submerged, so she couldn't sat the baby down on it. Her son was struggling and she didn't know what to do. She screamed for help but no one was around. She was trying to get to shore to put the baby somewhere safe but she was struggling against the current too. The baby was crying and she was frantic and had no idea what to do.

She heard a noise and looked up to see a dog on the bridge, watching the scene. She looked at her child and, suddenly, leaped off of the bridge, plunging 12 feet into the river, swimming with the current. Before long, she reached the exhausted child and grabbed him by the back of his t-shirt and pulled him above the water. The child reached around and wrapped his arms around the dog's neck and she swam to the shore, dragging the child, who was too exhausted to even walk up onto dry land, out of the water. The dog then plunged back into the water and swam to my cousin, who was fine but appreciated the dog swimming beside her as she fought the current with her infant in her arms and managed to get to dry land, flopping down in the dirt, exhausted.

She checked on her children. Her daughter was crying and terrified and her son was exhausted but they were both safe. The dog shook herself off and walked over to lick the boy's face. My cousin, an adamant dog hater, grabbed the dog and hugged her as tightly as she could, crying hysterically, muttering "Thank you. Thank you so much!" Another car passed by and she flagged them down. They got out and wrapped them up in blankets and called 911. EMS checked them all out and determined that the children were fine but my cousin needed stitches from a head wound from the impact of the accident. They decided to take all of the kids to be checked out, just for good measure (Her son was saying his head and neck were sore so they were worried about whiplash or something). She called her husband to tell him that they were in an accident and were going to the hospital and that he needed to come and get the dog before she would let them take her in the ambulance. Her husband was confused about which dog she was talking about so she said she would explain when he got there. When he arrived, she informed him that they had a new dog. He looked at her like she was crazy and she told him what the dog did and he agreed. There was no way she was going to the pound or living on the street after that.

Her husband put their new dog in the car while the EMT's loaded her kids into the first ambulance. While she was waiting for her turn, the police officer came over to talk to her, laughing for some reason. She asked what was so funny. He told her "The dog that saved your child's life is a neighborhood stray. She has out run animal control so many times that they hate her. She has been on her own for months. She scavenges out of trash cans and sometimes a kind stranger will feed her but she won't get into anyone's car or let anyone pet her. I drive across this bridge every day on my way to and from work and I noticed that, this morning, she was sitting on the bridge, just staring into the river like she was waiting for something. I guess she was waiting for you. Isn't that funny?"

My cousin thinks that God put that dog there to save them. The dog has been named Angel. Tomorrow she is going for a vet check up and to get her shots. Needless to say that Angel has found a forever home.

*Small Update*

My cousin took Angel to the vet this morning to make sure she was up to date on her shots and that she was healthy. The dog is in good shape. The vet thinks she is a Yellow lab mix, probably about three years old. She got a really good bath last night (because she was filthy) and they bought her a steak. She is pretty wellbehaved and ran to the back door to go outside first thing this morning. Also, the vet did an ultrasound to see if she has been spayed and she has. She obviously had a good home once. Someone my sister talked to at the hospital said that someone just threw the dog out on the street because they decided they didn't want her (it's a small town so everyone knows the dog). I don't have a picture because she lives in a different state and I never see her so I haven't seen the dog. She doesn't have picture messaging on her phone and she doesn't have a computer.

Replies

• wymama610
    August 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I don't care if this is a real story or not...... That's just awesome :)

• cmmember
    August 24, 2013 at 3:17 AM
    This! Very heart warming story ! Thank you for sharing!

Quoting wymama610:

• Razzle_Dazzle1
    August 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Thank you and it is a real story. I just talked to my cousin this afternoon and she told me about it. She was in the hospital and trying to get up with her parents and they weren't home (and don't have cellphones because they will not be slaves to the digital age) so she called me, hoping I could get up with them.

Quoting cmmember:

This! Very heart warming story ! Thank you for sharing!

Quoting wymama610:

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    August 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM
    Sweet! Pic please!
  • PrissyKrissy02
    August 24, 2013 at 3:42 AM
    How sweet!
  • Razzle_Dazzle1
    August 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I haven't actually seen the dog myself so I don't have a pic. She lives in another state and doesn't have a phone she can send pictures over. Plus, she said the only picture she has is of her kids with the dog and she doesn't want me posting that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sweet! Pic please!

• destiny3513
    August 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    Real or fake. I cried. Stories like this make me happy.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    August 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    This made me cry! I would keep the dog too!!
  • UxorQuodMatris.
    August 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Somebody get that dog a steak!
  • kameronsmommy08
    August 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    This story is amazing. Im sitting here crying.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts