Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Would you have a baby without health insurance? *ETA*
by Anonymous
August 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I have 2 children from a previously relationship and dh and I have 1 son together. About a year ago my dh switched jobs and with the new job we have to get private insurance (is employer pays a portion of it) instead of group insurance. Well, after going through the 3 health insurance companies available to us (BlueCross, United Healthcare, Covenant) none of them will cover me due to "pre-existing conditions" some of which I know longer have, because they were just MINOR issues with my last pregnancy and because I have been to a chiropractor. 

Anyway DH and I have been wanting another child, especially since he only has one of his own and I would like to ttc SOON because I am starting a new teacher associate position and a summer baby would work out great, and I also don't want a huge age gap between my youngest and the next baby, and I also have horrible menstrual cycles and the dr has agreed to a hysterectomy when we are done with kids, so I don't want to wait to much longer. 

DH wants another one, but he doesn't want to ttc until I have health insurance, which I understand but we also don't know how long it will be until I can get health insurance. 

What would you do?

*ETA* 

*First, I want to acknowledge that things could go wrong to affect these prices but here is what we have been told and have looked into when looking into insurance*

When we first looked into insurance, we were told that maternity insurance is ALMOST pointless, because a lot of times not everything is covered and there is a lot of fine print. When we talked to more people they told us basically the same thing. We also live in the state of IOWA and therefore healthcare cost are ALOT cheaper here than in other states. I qualify for state insurance,for people with pre-existing conditions, called HIPIOWA, the reason we have choosen not to take this insurance is based on the following numbers:

Cheapest policy in HIPIOWA without materinty insurance is around $300-$350 a month with a $10,000 deductable, with materenity coverage it goes to up to $700-$750 with the same deductable. PLUS, we most carry the policy for 12 months before gettting pregnant.

So it would cost us $700 x 12  = $8,400 + $700 x 9 (or 10 months if you want to get technically of pregnancy) = $6,300 + $10,000 deductable = $24,700 (this is also not including the cost of co-pays)

the average cost for a c-section/pregnancy in my area is around $10,000- $15,000 (the average being $12,000). So IF the pregnancy/delivery went good and everything was healthy it would cost less to have the baby out of pocket. 

And like I said I could wait, but I don't necessarily want to because of the reasons listed above. And so far with my few times of seeing a dr in the last year, my cost have been cheaper than when I was on insurance, but again, I thankfully haven't had major health issues or an accident. 

Replies

• Mcelly
    by Mcelly
    August 5, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    When was the last time you applied for coverage? I don't think they can turn you down anymore.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    August 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    I accidentally had a baby with no insurance. It was a clerical error though, and thankfully was resolved lol.

As for your situation, I thought Obama care got rid of pre existing condition issues, maybe that doesn't take effect until 2014 though
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    August 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Medicaid. I had medicaid for my first.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    August 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Can you apply for temporary state public assistance (Medicaid)?

Or you can try a home birth, etc...

I wouldn't get pregnant if I couldn't afford it. Even you though may be able to afford the hospital stay, there are lots of other things can could (knock on wood) go wrong and that can add up. God forbid something goes wrong in deliver and you need an emergency c-section (expensive), or the baby has complications? Or is born with some sort of disability and needs therapy - insurance companies frown on covering those pre-existing issues.

I'd wait. You never know what could go wrong... But if you want a child, get going with that insurance. If you can afford a baby and this is the age gap you want, don't wait any longer than necessary and don't delay on getting insurance. I had an issue with having my second at the age gap I wanted, and I've always regretted it (in a weird way).

• CjEmmemommy
    August 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We had our last child uninsured. We moved out of state at 8 weeks along and had the child without insurance.

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    August 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    No way. But then again my soil had a baby with no insurance and paid less than we did with insurance. She claimed low income.
  • crysiann
    August 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Well, I am sort of in the same situation. But, I would double check it, because in my state every insurance I call tells me that they do not cover anything related to pregnancy on private policies any longer. So, the only way I could have coverage for pregnancy is if I went on state insurance. I have no other option. So, I don't know what to do either.

• zoegirlsmom
    August 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I had a baby with no insurance, we negotiated before hand with the doctors office and the hospital. Not ideal, and luckily it was uncomplicated so it wasn't too bad. We did have to pay the hospital some money upfront, this insured access to the in-hospital birthing center. 

• Babymama7710
    August 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Yes and I did 3 times we paid for all my medical bills out of pocket

• MistyMoo
    August 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    Nope. If I lived in the states and I didn't have health insurance if be super cautious about that.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN