Mom Confessions

KushielsChosen
Sewing
July 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

what do you guys think is the best way to learn sewing, for somebody who doesn't really know that much, but wants to learn to make clothes for her kids?

Replies

• SLGross215
    July 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Youtube has amazing tutorials. I also run a beginner sewing group on here. If you're interested I can PM you the link.

• redhead-bedhead
    July 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Youtube is a great way to learn.

• JacksMom1221
    July 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    There may be a free class through a church? Or maybe a cheap class through an adult education center? Idk, Google it!
  • SilverOcean84
    July 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Im a beginner myself and I used youtube and found a great blog to follow. The lady who runs this is great and shows step by step how to make really cute things for children. http://sewpony.blogspot.com/ 

• meowsrus
    July 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    from a fiber-artist:
    start small so you can get used to the machine and moving the fabric through it.
    All patterns you buy say at Jo Ann's or other stores, come with detailed instructions.

So say start with a pillow, then move to something that doesn't have a lot of detail, but more- like an apron, then to something larger(your size) with sleeves, bucause they can be tricky.

After those, then try making your daughter a jumper dress.
    The more you make, the better you will become. Don't expect to not make mistakes. You will actually learn more when you make them!
  • Not_A_Native
    July 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Best thing is to get a beginner class to start with - Joanne Fabrics has a good one.  Then find someone who knows how to sew - and how to teach - to guide you past that.

• KushielsChosen
    July 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

thank you everybody :)

• Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
    July 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Start small, get an easy pattern, see if your local fabric store has a beginner class, don't be afraid to try something new

There are a million great tutorials on both youtube and in blogs. I don't know if you have pinterest but if you do here is a link to my board of sewing tutorials that I have found.

http://pinterest.com/samantha802/sewing-tips-tricks-and-techniques/

I am not an expert but feel free to send me a message if you ever need help.

• KushielsChosen
    July 31, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Thank you!!!

Mom Confessions