Mom Confessions

Anonymous
HELP! Where can I get discount clothes and car seats?
by Anonymous
July 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I recently left home in Idaho abruptly with my four kids and moved to Washington state. Because we had to leave so quickly, each kid got one backpack of clothes. My ex had the car which had all of the car seats in it, so I had to put my two little ones in my older boys' old car seats from 6 and 8 years ago. Now that we're all settled in, we basically need to get all new stuff. I have a decent amount of savings, but no job yet so I'm not going to go out and spend $200 a piece for four new car seats. The thing is I'm having trouble finding any clothes and seats that won't break the bank.

Do any of you know of any sites or stores that have cheap kids clothes and car seats? I have used Craigslist for a lot of our new stuff, but I don't know how comfortable I am buying used car seats and they don't seem to have many kids clothes listed in my area either.

Replies

• AScaredMomma
    July 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    Try freecycle.
  • alexsmomaubrys2
    July 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Where in WA are you? Look for consignment shops for used clothes. How old are your kids? Car-seat don't have to be expensive but you really should never get a used seat.

• sharonsolo
    July 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    Do you have once upon a child resale store in your area?
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Contact you local fire department and health departments.  I have been able to get clients free carseats through them before.  Also for clothing look into clothing banks; alot of the food banks and churches  have a supply of clothing for kids and adults all you have to do is let them know you are in need.  

• chunkyhoney78
    July 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM

doesn't walmart have some really cheap carseats and boosters seats? I thought they did now that summer is almost over you might be able to buy some cute clearance clothes from all kinds of different places.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    July 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    I'm in the Bellingham area. I have two girls who are 2 months and 19 months, and I have two boys who are 6 and 8. I really don't want to resort to getting used car seats, but it's hard to find them for a low cost. I'll definitely look into consignment shops.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Where in WA are you? Look for consignment shops for used clothes. How old are your kids? Car-seat don't have to be expensive but you really should never get a used seat.

• Anonymous
    July 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Thank you so much! I didn't know about the fire departments and car seats. Hopefully they won't think I'm mooching or anything because I have an almost brand new car. (That I got before we left of course.)

Quoting Anonymous:

Contact you local fire department and health departments.  I have been able to get clients free carseats through them before.  Also for clothing look into clothing banks; alot of the food banks and churches  have a supply of clothing for kids and adults all you have to do is let them know you are in need.  

• Era5182
    by Era5182
    July 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Check to see if their is a once upon a child!!!
  • proudmommy690
    July 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    Walmart has $40 car seats that will work for the two little ones, and I think some cheaper ones for the other two. Good luck!!
  • Anonymous
    July 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    Unfortunately not. :(

Quoting sharonsolo:

Do you have once upon a child resale store in your area?

Mom Confessions