Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
has anyone noticed
by Anonymous
July 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM
an over breeding of pitbulls? in my area there are sooooo many and they are so abundant, and no one wants them! so they all end up in shelters. its sad really! and i dont mean like stray cats that breed, i mean like these people are purposely breeding them for money!

Replies

• xoxRachelxox
    July 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM

It'd be nice if the idiots breeding them would figure that out! 

Quoting Anonymous:

thats the point, they end up in shelters

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

Well, how the hell are they making money if nobody is buying them? 

• alf2651
    by alf2651
    July 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Same here in my area. 

Quoting smurfbitebug:

I do have to say, though, that in the shelter here it is very nearly an even tie between hound mixes & pit/bully breed mixes. The smaller breeds are the minority at the shelter for this area.

• AliKatAK47
    July 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Ohhh. I get it now. Maybe I should start DNA testing my rescue dogs before I send them to new homes. Most come from people who are surrendering their pets (I sit in the lobby of Animal Control on Fridays and leave with a van full of dogs). Only reason I wouldn't is because I don't want to change the adoption fee and make it higher.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a smaller shelter; it's actually a shelter that is dedicated only to drop-offs; not dogs picked up off the street. So the relinquisment fee; goes to a dna test; unless the dog has papers; sadly; I've been seeing more and more papered dogs be dropped off recently. That being said; we only have a max of 50 dogs at a time in the shelter. So that's why we are able to do it.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I've never seen that. Usually they just take a wild guess. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh okay. It's pretty cool; at our shelter they dna test most of the dogs; so you actually know what youre buying

Quoting AliKatAK47:

All of my dogs are rescues. My APBT is from someone who was going to surrender her dog to the shelter. I told her I'd take her instead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you try a shelter? I got my APBT from a shelter; they constantly had them there.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

No. Most of the time when I see someone advertising "Pit Bulls". They are either 1)those overgrown mongrels or 2) mixed breed dogs with big heads. I was looking for an APBT breeder for a year and could only find hippo breeders.  I haven't seen a true APBT in a long time. I have one but even she is not to standard because of that one ear. My Pit mix could pass off as a pure APBT but DNA says he's mixed with Staffy. People wouldn't know an APBT if it bit them on the nose but they are breeding random mutts and labeling them 'Pit Bulls' or 'pitbulls' as many of you spell it.  Only time I see them is when the ASPCA breaks up fighting rings and then, those dogs are killed. 

• krystawitt
    July 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

there goes the neighborhood -

• alf2651
    by alf2651
    July 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I've noticed it too. People think that pit bulls are the dogs to have so they breed them just to turn a profit, in my opinion, and don't really seem to care if they end up in the shelter or not. 

My DH and I have a friend who mentioned that one day, he'd like to breed pit bulls. Both him and I are pit bull lovers, but I don't think breeding pit bulls for money is a good idea at all and I told him so. Shelters are full of pits and poor or backyard breeding can cause serious issues in the dogs. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    July 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM

my husband got his from a breeder 8 years ago when this wasnt a problem! mine i took in for 50 bucks the orginal owner got from a shelter

Quoting AliKatAK47:

You got your dog from a breeder? Wouldn't that mean you pretty much added to the problem you are posting about? 

Quoting Anonymous:

like i said idk i know mine had dna done and we have papers!  maybe these people are just saying it i cant speak for them! but i know if they are in a shelter around here they do a dna test so that confirms it for them!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

No. Most of the time when I see someone advertising "Pit Bulls". They are either 1)those overgrown mongrels or 2) mixed breed dogs with big heads. I was looking for an APBT breeder for a year and could only find hippo breeders.  I haven't seen a true APBT in a long time. I have one but even she is not to standard because of that one ear. My Pit mix could pass off as a pure APBT but DNA says he's mixed with Staffy. People wouldn't know an APBT if it bit them on the nose but they are breeding random mutts and labeling them 'Pit Bulls' or 'pitbulls' as many of you spell it.  Only time I see them is when the ASPCA breaks up fighting rings and then, those dogs are killed. 

• AliKatAK47
    July 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM

The Pit Bull problem did exist 8 years ago. It just wasn't catching as much spotlight back then.

Quoting Anonymous:

my husband got his from a breeder 8 years ago when this wasnt a problem! mine i took in for 50 bucks the orginal owner got from a shelter

Quoting AliKatAK47:

You got your dog from a breeder? Wouldn't that mean you pretty much added to the problem you are posting about? 

Quoting Anonymous:

like i said idk i know mine had dna done and we have papers!  maybe these people are just saying it i cant speak for them! but i know if they are in a shelter around here they do a dna test so that confirms it for them!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

• Anonymous 1
    July 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM

not where he was living.  and the problem is they are ending up inshelters not so much breeding, a breeder is a breeder there are people who are not breeders who breed and they dont know what they are doing!  even if i got mine from a breeder i stoped them from going into a shelter!  which is what the problem is

Quoting AliKatAK47:

The Pit Bull problem did exist 8 years ago. It just wasn't catching as much spotlight back then.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

• AliKatAK47
    July 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Anyone who puts their dogs together in order for them to produce pups is a breeder. They may not be a very good breeder but they are a breeder nonetheless. 

Breeders ARE the problem. you said it yourself in the OP. Backyard breeders don't care who they sell the pups too as long as they are making a profit. When the pup gets too big and the moron they sold it to doesn't want it anymore oh well. They aren't taking it back so it goes to the shelter or the street. When the kid's mother tells him that he can't have a puppy even after the kid saved his pennies for it the dog goes off to the shelter. So yes "breeders" are a big problem when it comes to pet overpopulation and the dogs in shelters. That's why reputable breeders screen their applicants before even considering selling them a pup. 

Quoting Anonymous:

not where he was living.  and the problem is they are ending up inshelters not so much breeding, a breeder is a breeder there are people who are not breeders who breed and they dont know what they are doing!  even if i got mine from a breeder i stoped them from going into a shelter!  which is what the problem is

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

• Anonymous 1
    July 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM

well then im not the problem, my husband was screened went through all the proper steps to get this dog that he has, im not saying that breeders are not totally to blame, byb are the ones im really bitching about bc in my area that is what we have, someone who buys from a breeder to keep the dog from going into a shelter then i feel thats a good thing! bc the problem around here no shelters have rooms, and what happens? they get put to sleep! we are not one of those people who get a puppy and get rid of it, hes had this dog for almost 9 years! we still have him rightn ow right here, hes healthy and fixed and so is my puppy who actually really isnt even a puppy anymore, im so use to calling her that bc shes younger than our first one! if someon can step up and go.."hey ill take the pup in" and keep the dog, then i dont see the issue. its better than turning the other cheek and being like "oh im not taking it there are too many" its not like that at least not with me

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Anyone who puts their dogs together in order for them to produce pups is a breeder. They may not be a very good breeder but they are a breeder nonetheless. 

Breeders ARE the problem. you said it yourself in the OP. Backyard breeders don't care who they sell the pups too as long as they are making a profit. When the pup gets too big and the moron they sold it to doesn't want it anymore oh well. They aren't taking it back so it goes to the shelter or the street. When the kid's mother tells him that he can't have a puppy even after the kid saved his pennies for it the dog goes off to the shelter. So yes "breeders" are a big problem when it comes to pet overpopulation and the dogs in shelters. That's why reputable breeders screen their applicants before even considering selling them a pup. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN