Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Do you consider Medical Assisting a career?
by Anonymous
July 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I've been a sahm for the past 12 yrs. I went back to school, became an MA and graduated in 2008. For whatever reasons, I have never went back to work. Well, now I'm at a point in life where I want to go out there and find a job. My youngest one will be three soon and I think I'm ready do something else with my life besides being a mom :) My sister recently opened her business and I have a chance to work with her. If I decide to take up on her offer, I'll be the receptionist/office manager. I have never worked as an MA so without any experience (other than practicing at school and during my externship), I know it won't be easy to get a job. But I know medical assisting is always on demand. Idk what to do. I know MAs don't get paid much to start. My sister and I haven't yet discussed my pay. Any thoughts? Advice? WWYD?

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    July 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    Bump!
  • .stella.
    July 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

• noahscott
    July 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I'm in nursing school and I definitely think it's not only a career but a really good one to have. They are always in demand. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting a job. Good luck.. I hope you like it!!

• Schauseil
    July 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

• Anonymous 1
    July 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    Thanx, I agree, I consider it a great career (thus I got into it :). It's just that I've had people tell me things like " oh, you should've gotten into nursing, instead of MA, you get paid more, blah, blah, blah" . I always tell them is not all about the money, but that kind of makes me doubt wether I went the right path, you know? I guess I'm just also scared to get work as an
    MA, since I haven't really practiced, you know? I've been a sahm mom too long, lol
  • Anonymous 1
    July 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    Gosh, I meant to quote you! My reply is all the way at the bottom. Thanx for your input :)

Quoting .stella.:

• .stella.
    July 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Lol, I don't mind. I got hired at $13/hr, and I'm now at $15 ( I'll be here a year next month and then get another $1 raise). I always said I'd start out as a MA as an entry level medical field job, then pursue RN if I felt like I enjoyed it. Who knows, I might go for RN, but as for now I'm happy where I am at :)

Quoting Schauseil:

Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

• Anonymous 1
    July 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Thanks for your encouraging words :)

Quoting noahscott:

I'm in nursing school and I definitely think it's not only a career but a really good one to have. They are always in demand. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting a job. Good luck.. I hope you like it!!

• .stella.
    July 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM

No worries :) I started as a MA since I knew I didn't want to work in life or death situations on a daily basis (like a hospital setting) right off the bat. Here, most doctor's offices have MA's instead of RN's so there are a LOT of jobs opening up constantly. I say you already have the education, maybe see if your school offers a refresher course :) Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanx, I agree, I consider it a great career (thus I got into it :). It's just that I've had people tell me things like " oh, you should've gotten into nursing, instead of MA, you get paid more, blah, blah, blah" . I always tell them is not all about the money, but that kind of makes me doubt wether I went the right path, you know? I guess I'm just also scared to get work as an
    MA, since I haven't really practiced, you know? I've been a sahm mom too long, lol

• britadams10
    July 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM

my aunt is a m.a and she makes about 45k a year, so yeah i definitely think it's a career, i did it for a while when i was 19, i was also a phlebotomist so I made 18$ an hour

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN