Mom Confessions

punkinsmom0106
DH is leaving!! Help please!
July 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Dh is seriously considering getting his CDL.  He has always been in transportation, but the money is much better with a CDL endorsement and doing over-the-road freight hauling.  We have always had such a close bond that I am worrying how I will cope without him around.  He has a great opportunity: an offer with a reputable company to receive paid OTR training, with the stipulation that he works for the company for an additional 7 months after said training.  Even during training, his pay is almost identical to his current income, and within a year it would be almost double.  I understand what a great financial opportunity this is for him and our family as a whole, but I'm afraid I'm going to be miserable without him :(

Help please!!  Advice, tips, stories, suggestions---all is appreciated!!!  I will be no good to my family if all I do is miss him...

Replies

• Kaybean
    by Kaybean
    July 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM
    For us, it wouldn't work. We don't want that kind of marriage or family life.
  • proudGBmama
    July 10, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    My dad was an otr driver his wife depends on him for everything she's severely disabled they are fine it's exciting he brought back little trinkets from every truck stop he went to they made a game of it they're stronger now than before
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 10, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Obviously you will miss him, but really you think you're going to fall apart over this? 

Wow, how will you manage when something really serious happens?

i meanit's not like you're about to be homeless or something!

Put your big girl panties on and learn how to be ambit more independent! 

• Raindancerx
    July 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I personally wouldn't be able to do it just because I cannot stand the distance thing which is why I always said I would never get married to anyone who had to do any buisness trips frequently or in the military or truckers. Nope. Couldn't do it.

• tifferie
    July 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    We have been through the military and moves for jobs. While it would be rough, I know we would make due.
  • jamamama00
    July 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM
    Just think of it as a temporary problem that will open a lot of doors. If he works there for a few years, he will be able to find another job (if he has a good record) or you can save the extra money and maybe he can start his own business. You have the rest of your life to spend time together, right? I think its a good idea as long as you have mutual trust and respect.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM
    One thing to consider: it isn't cheap for those guys to live on the road. Will it *really* be a financial benefit? I would really think about all of the perceived benefits before making a decision.
  • punkinsmom0106

I can understand.  I'm not sure if it's something I really want or not. DH is well aware that I'm thinking about what that kind of life would be like, but it's hard to imagine.  That's why I'm trying to get some help :/

Quoting Kaybean:

For us, it wouldn't work. We don't want that kind of marriage or family life.

• morrigan914
    What company is the opportunity with? There are a few really big names with HORRIBLE 'training' were you end up having to re pay them, be careful.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM
    All I know is, that's what my step dad decided to do and my whore mom cheated on him because he was always gone

Mom Confessions