Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
lenashark
Just because its in the yard doesn't mean you can take it!
July 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM

We're in the process of moving. We can't move into the house yet until we get some legal paperwork through, but no ones living in it right now so the owner said we could start moving our stuff in. We've been slowly bringing stuff over bit by bit and this afternoon my husband and six year old son took a load over, including our bikes. They left the bikes on the lawn in front of the house while they brought stuff inside. They came outside a little while later and my sons bike was gone. My husband looks down the road and sees a guy and his son wheeling my sons bike down the street. He knew it was my sons because he has a baseball card on the wheel and his name, Abel, painted on the side.

My husband ran after them and this is the conversation they had-

Robin (Husband)- Excuse me, I think thats my stepsons bike.

Guy- No, someone was giving it away.

R- Who gave it to you?

G- It was in that yard over there with some other bikes and boxes, someone left it out for people to take.

R- Sorry but thats my house and no we didn't leave it out for people to take, we just left it there while we were unpacking. Theres no "free for taking" sign.

The guy then shoves the bike at him and says- well you shouldn't just leave stuff in your yard if you want it, thats like the international sign for give aways.

And then they walked away. Um, what the heck? Just because someone is on a front lawn doesn't mean the person is giving it away! Where do people get these ideas? After they walked away my husband saw him get in a car with Ohio plates (we live in upstate NY) that was full of suitcases, so they didn't even live around here, just passing through on vacation. Judging by the little league glass paint on the car windows they were probably going or coming from Cooperstown.

Replies

• gypsy_rose
    July 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    Yahh that is bs. Guy knew it was not being given away then.

Quoting lenashark:

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Was it by the road?

No, it was on the lawn.

• lenashark
    July 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Quoting ballerina18:

Wow!

Even if the man made a mistake and thought it was free he shouldn't have been so RUDE about it! He could have just said "Oh, my mistake" and gave the bike back.

I'm glad your DH was able to get the bike back. I'm sorry to hear you apparently will be living next to rude neighbors.

They don't even live here, my husband saw him get into a car with Ohio plates (we live in NY), it was full of suitcases so they were probably on a trip and just stopping through. 

• hddcooper
    July 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Hes an idiot! I could see the mistake if the bike was on the curb, but in the yard hell no! He was a thief who got caught!
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    Are you in the northwest? I have a friend that lives in WA that complains about this a lot. She can't leave anything out front.
  • MaNdYbEaR2010
    You will have stupid neighbors.
  • keriley1

If its on the CURB yeah, thats the "its free" sign, but in the yard isn't.

• CuriousArentYa
    July 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Last week somebody took a bunkbed and mattresses from a yard that were leaning up against their fence. Turns out, it had bedbugs. The people leaned the mattresses up against their fence until they could take them to the dump and somebody helped themselves to it. SMH. I feel bad that the kids will suffer for the parents mistakes. 

If it's not yours, don't touch it. It's not that hard. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Lol I live in Baltimore- if you leave something unattended for 5 minutes, it is expected to be gone.
  • lenashark

Quoting neva_eva_always:

Should've followed the idiots home so you could snatch anything in the yard left there just to teach the kid a lesson. Dad's a DUMBNUT and you can't just take. I would :)

After they walked away my husband saw him get in a car with Ohio plates (we live in upstate NY) that was full of suitcases, so they didn't even live around here, just passing through on vacation. Judging by the little league glass paint on the car windows they were probably going or coming from Cooperstown.

• redhead-bedhead

Well shit I guess my pool, grill and lawn furnature set are for someone to take...

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts