Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Is she bulimic? Update.
by Anonymous
July 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Every time after DD eats she pukes. No diet changes, no fevers, no exposure to any known illnesses. 

She acts like she's starving to death and eats so fast, then about 15 minutes later she is throwing up almost everything she has ate.

I don't know if she has an eating disorder or if its from her eating entirely too fast. I've pleaded with her to slow down and take her time eating, but she's ADHD and slowing down anything is practically impossible.

I'm worried about her health, and with her appt being on the 29th it seems like forever away.

Any advice or experience with something like this?

Update:

This morning I gave her smaller portions and sat down with her and practically had to feed her myself to get her to slow down. It worked, she kept breakfast down. Lunch was the same thing, but she did throw up SOME. Not a lot like she has been doing though, so I think that's helping. I'm giving her reeeeeeeeeeeally small portions at each sitting and if she asks for more I give her another small portion. The doctor's office called around and got her in for another doctor two towns over for later this week. I managed to talk to their nurse and she encouraged me to keep this up till the appt and to make sure she's still getting fluids to make up for what she's not able to keep down. They told me I could keep giving her the zofran if I felt like it was helping and stay on a bland diet as well. Thanks ladies for the advice I really appreciate it.

Replies

• Mel0dy
    by Mel0dy
    July 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

How long has she been doing that for

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    Sit her down and talk to her instead of posting on here
  • marihla
    by marihla
    July 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Sounds like bulimia. It's more common than you would think. And if she's doing it out in the open like that, she's begging for attention.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    July 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

About 2 weeks now. When I was certain it wasn't a virus I scheduled an appt to see the doctor but they're booked so far out its ridiculous.

Quoting Mel0dy:

How long has she been doing that for

• Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM

How do you ask a 5 year old if she has an eating disorder? I don't think she even knows what that means. I've asked her why she keeps throwing up and all she can says is she doesn't know. I ask if she's sick and she says no. Everything I can think of gets an "I don't know" or "No" response from her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sit her down and talk to her instead of posting on here

• Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I'm worried about her. It started about a month after we told her she'd be going to a new school and she's been clearly nervous about the new school and having to make new friends, but I didn't think a 1st grader would be dealing with something like eating disorders, or where she could have possible picked up the idea from to even try it.

Quoting marihla:

Sounds like bulimia. It's more common than you would think. And if she's doing it out in the open like that, she's begging for attention.

• Mommy2b2many
    July 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    She may have a digestion problem... 5 seems a bit young to have that sort of problem. Os she making herself puke; or puking uncontrollably? Give her smaller portions; so divide her plate into like 6ths; and give her a little bit at a time? See if that solves the problem? Good luck!
  • Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

She's not doing anything that I've seen to make her self throw up. Tonight as soon as she finished eating and taking a bath I put her in bed and no sooner than I walked out of the room she gave a small cough and puked everywhere. It wasn't even a big cough, more like a tickle in her throat and she tried to clear it and she got sick all over herself and her bed. Which makes me think its not something she's doing intentionally. But I have no experience with this. The last time she threw up she was hospitalized for a severe bladder infection. And that was over a year ago.

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

She may have a digestion problem... 5 seems a bit young to have that sort of problem. Os she making herself puke; or puking uncontrollably? Give her smaller portions; so divide her plate into like 6ths; and give her a little bit at a time? See if that solves the problem? Good luck!

• AnastasiaKorsh
    July 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    Give her smaller portions, feed her more often, so she isn't starving by meal time.
    I throw up if I eat to fast. But it could also be her nerves, since you said that you just moved.
  • Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I will try that. For dinner I did give her less (we had spaghetti) than I have been but she still didn't keep it down either. :/

Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

Give her smaller portions, feed her more often, so she isn't starving by meal time.
    I throw up if I eat to fast. But it could also be her nerves, since you said that you just moved.

Mom Confessions