Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
lasombrs
Are you polite when religious folks come to your home?
July 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
*edit* I just noticed a big typo lol. It should have been I am not of their faith not I am. I thought that may be obvious since I mentioned I was not sure of things about them, but just incase :)

I just had some Jehovah witnesses ( I believe they mention they attend Kingdom Hall which I think is what they call church?) stop by. My German Shepard was barking the moment their tires touched my drive way so I greeted them on my porch unsure of who they were. I was polite and took their booklet and answered their question ( do I think god intended for the world to be plagued by war? To which I said I would hope not) and let them read one very short sentence from their bible and they were on their way. They did not try to convert me, no real preaching at all, never even said where in town their church was located.

Now I am not of their faith but i think in the end all religions boil down to the same stuff. But I remember as a child my grandmother would have us crawl on the floor and avoid windows so they wouldn't see us. I spent less then 3 minutes with them. No real disrupt to my day, but they seemed happy I didn't shoo them off the property. Just because I don't agree with them I don't think I should make it harder on them to do as they believe. I want to think going door to door is a requirement for their faith.

So yeah, anyone else polite to them even if you don't practice the faith of whoever shows up at your door? Or do most hide or tell them to go away?

Replies

• peanutsmommy1
    July 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I just don't answer my door

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    it's an entirely different experience when you're the same faith they are.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

no because i dont answer the door when they come.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    July 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

From what I have read here, a lot get mean or just downright rude. Yes, it can be annoying, but geez, they are just doing what they believe and there is no reason to be nasty. Most of my extended family are JW's, but I am not. I have never encountered one pushy JW anywhere we have lived, and in 2 states.

• juju40
    by juju40

i don't answer the door

• B1Bomber

I'm polite to everyone, including door-to-door salespeople, religious proselytizers and telemarketers. It costs me nothing to be polite.

• TheDoctorsWife
    July 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Yes I am
  • lasombrs
    We don't have a peep hole and the dog would have gone crazy and woke the baby if they just stood there. But do you never answer the door or somehow know its them and would answer others at the door?

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I just don't answer my door

• Rain2Rinse
    As long as they are polite, I return the favor. When they shift the tone of the conversation, my mood changes and a door is usually slammed.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I'm a former JW. I can guarantee that they will continue to visit you now. In their eyes you have shown interest. They most likely went right to their car and wrote down your information, the scripture they shared with you, and the magazines you were given. If you don't want to be visited just tell them to put you on the do not call list.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts