Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Temper Tantrum Scare
by Anonymous
July 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Does anyone else have a child who throws tantrums & tries to scream but holds his breath to the point he turns purple!? My son is a year & 7ms old & just did this! I'm very concerned because I thought I had to call 911 but he suddenly got up & acted like nothing happened! I'll be calling his pedi tomorrow but need to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?

Replies

• littlesippycup
    July 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I think you're supposed to ignore them when they do that but bump for help.

• teachermom1212
    July 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My sister used to get mad, hold her breath and pas out.  They will start breathing again.

• mamapotts00
    July 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    My son is only 4 months old, I'm no help.but here is a bump for you!
  • got2monsters
    If they hold their breath until they pass out, then they will start breathing again and wake up with a headache and eventually quit. Any pedi will tell you to ignore it or punish the tantrum and let them breath hold if they still want to.
  • zeenah
    by zeenah

No she does get so mad she before she cries sometimes that she doesn't breathe or make a sound before the scream ensues we have to say breathe breathe now so she doesn't do it.

• Anonandon
    July 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    My cousin's son used to. Her pediatrician said to ignore it. As far as I know, he stopped not too long ago, but he did it for awhile.
  • lynmark
    by lynmark

I work in child care and have a set of twins who tend to do that exact same thing.  I have only witnessed them a couple of times because they are always well behaved for us compared to their parents.  There Mom took them to the doctor and was told that it was normal and they would out grow it! :-)   It is scary the first time it happens.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    my dd does.they told me she will either pass out or start breathing again and to ignore her either way she will start breathing again
  • almondpigeon
    July 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

my brother did that when he was a baby.  he would turn purple and pass out for a few seconds.  it scared our mama to death, but he's fine. well, i *GUESS* he's fine.  he's 27 now and still lives at home with our parents.  and he doesn't work. and he's dropped out of community college like 4 times.  yeah, he's definitely fine.

• 2manydiapers
    July 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    I have 3 boys, 4.5, 2.5, and 1.5 . All three throw tantrums, mostly I leave the room and ignore it going about my routine, often being followed and cried at.

In public I end what we are doing and go home.

Mom Confessions