Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Miss-B
Watch what you say on Facebook!!
by Miss-B
July 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/news/teen-justin-carter-jailed-for-sarcastic-facebook-threat/story-fni0bzod-1226673667876?sv=6d5dd15a53a83a7347c25235d6064fb0#.UdQZ1Gzo2Ek.facebook

Teen Justin Carter jailed for sarcastic Facebook threat

19-year-old Justin Carter. Family photo. Source: news.com.au

A 19-year-old Texan is facing up to eight years in prison after making a sarcastic threat on Facebook.

Justin Carter was arguing about the video game League of Legends when he posted the distasteful Facebook comment.

"I'm f---ed in the head alright, I think I'ma (sic) shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat their still-beating hearts," he said.

Someone reported the comment to authorities, a search warrant was issued and Justin was arrested on February 14 - Valentine's Day. Bond was set at a high $500,000.

"He's very depressed. He's very scared and he's very concerned that he's not going to get out," Justin's father, Jack Carter, told CNN.

Justin could be charged with "making terroristic threats". He is being held in Comal County Jail, near San Antonio, Texas.

Justin's mother, Jennifer Carter, has posted a petition entitled "Release My Son Justin Carter - In Jail For a Facebook Comment" at Change.org .

"My son has been in jail for months because we can't afford to pay the half million dollar bail money," Mrs Carter said.

"Justin's a good kid. He wouldn't hurt anyone, let alone a child."

"The authorities' overreaction is ruining Justin's life. And it's setting a dangerous example trying to punish kids who often say strange things that I believe are protected under freedom of speech."

Jack Carter doesn't begrudge police the right to investigate threats of school violence. Justin's Facebook comment came just two months after 26 people, including 20 children, were murdered by a shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown.

But Mr Carter says the need for vigilance doesn't excuse the treatment of his son.

"I definitely see the need to investigate such claims," Mr Carter said.

"But at some point during the investigation there has to be some common sense."

###

Replies

• skittlefart
    July 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

>.> Don't remember seeing this on the news at all...that's crazy

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    July 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    I didn't know people still thought there's such a thing as freedom of speech.
  • Mom2MikeynLando
    July 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Who the hell even says or thinks anything like that?  I don't feel sorry for him, or his parents like the story seems to want us to feel.  Let him sit until he serves his time, or mom and dad can post his bail.  

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    July 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM

yep its true people will take what u say seriously i posted song lyrics very very innocent and some how my ex gave it to court and said i was doing drugs? they thought he was stupid!

• WalkingDeadlove
    July 3, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    Just with that statement alone I could understand the reaction however if the entire conversation it makes it obvious that it was a sarcastic comment...tactless yes but not a threat at all.

His friend said...oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head. He was just sarcastically commenting back...it was a joke.

This country is really going to hell when we can't tell the difference between someone making a bad joke and an actual threat.
  • Miss-B
    by Miss-B
    July 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Killing kids isn't something to joke about.

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

Just with that statement alone I could understand the reaction however if the entire conversation it makes it obvious that it was a sarcastic comment...tactless yes but not a threat at all.

His friend said...oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head. He was just sarcastically commenting back...it was a joke.

This country is really going to hell when we can't tell the difference between someone making a bad joke and an actual threat.

• Miss-B
    by Miss-B
    July 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I'm with you.

Quoting Mom2MikeynLando:

Who the hell even says or thinks anything like that?  I don't feel sorry for him, or his parents like the story seems to want us to feel.  Let him sit until he serves his time, or mom and dad can post his bail.  

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    July 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    from what I read, he commented under the post saying he was kidding. but still a very weird thing to say.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    No such thing as freedom of speech anymore.

Think people were oppressed 100 years ago? Think about what's to come.
  • Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5

So they really think him saying

Quote:

"I'm f---ed in the head alright, I think I'ma (sic) shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat their still-beating hearts," he said.

in this society is appropriate sarcasm. Anyone with common sense would know that could be seen as a  terroristic threat.  Common sense people, facebook is not a private diary to pour out all your secret thoughts and such. It is public. I do not feel sorry for him. My 12 year old knows better than such drivel.  You are responsible for what you put on facebook as much as not yelling fire in a crowded place when there is no fire.  

Could they be going overboard with punishment, maybe, maybe not, but with his facebook posts and such, I don't think this is some boy next door that never gets in trouble. Mommy and Daddy are trying to bail him out instead of him learning from this.  They need to let him learn and teach him that what he posted is WRONG and not "just free speech".

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts