Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
blue_elephant
would this concern you? or do you think it's just him being stubborn?
June 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM
My 3 year old threw up tonight at dinner.

He was eating, took a drink to swallow his food and then threw up.

He rarely eats, unless it's junk food like cookies, cake, ice cream, popsicles, etc. If its real food he looks at it, sometimes takes a bite and then says he is full.

Tonight was a whole new level. He was sitting there at the table, looked at his food and said he was full and wanted a cupcake. We told him that he could have a cupcake if he finished his dinner. He tried, but didn't make it.
He made it five little bites in, took a drink gagged, took another drink and threw up.

Would this concern you? Or do you think it's just him being stubborn?

Replies

• anotherhalf
    June 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Ask him if he wants a cupcake now.  Then you'll know.

• blue_elephant
    June 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    He asked for a cupcake after he threw up, but that doesn't really help, since he'll eat junk food as often as he can get it...

Quoting anotherhalf:

• LilliesValley
    June 29, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Umm I think until he was eating regular food properly he'd be completely out of luck for cookies, icecream and whatever other junk was around. He won't starve and if he's taking everything to a whole new level of throwing up from regular food he could be on his way to an eating disorder. Regular meals with healthy snack in between for a week or two and then the occassional treat. Moderation is the key. Missing one or two meals won't kill him, and if you have to, save his dinner plate in the fridge (although I don't reheat food then, you get it cold). You need to get him to start eating regular food routinely without complaint or reward and then worry about adding/giving junk.

• blue_elephant
    June 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    We generally don't have junk in the house, but my birthday was Tuesday, so we had cake, my mom brought over cupcakes, and kids and I baked cookies and cinnamon rolls, because my older kids were bummed because their dad didn't want to take them.

I'm just at a loss, this kid will not eat, I've tried giving him his food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he didn't eat it the night before. He will say he is full every time.

I'm not sure how this child is still alive, in complete honesty. He weighs 31 pounds and has weighed that since he was 2. I don't get it...

Quoting LilliesValley:

Umm I think until he was eating regular food properly he'd be completely out of luck for cookies, icecream and whatever other junk was around. He won't starve and if he's taking everything to a whole new level of throwing up from regular food he could be on his way to an eating disorder. Regular meals with healthy snack in between for a week or two and then the occassional treat. Moderation is the key. Missing one or two meals won't kill him, and if you have to, save his dinner plate in the fridge (although I don't reheat food then, you get it cold). You need to get him to start eating regular food routinely without complaint or reward and then worry about adding/giving junk.

• momtolittleg
    June 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Since he can eat junk food with no problems, I say he's manipulating you. I'd talk to his doc about doing some kind of food intervention- that does not involve ANY kind of junk food. You'd probably have to out-manipulate him. But definitely talk to the doc first. 

• anotherhalf
    June 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Then I think he's fine and just being manipulative. 

Quoting blue_elephant:

He asked for a cupcake after he threw up, but that doesn't really help, since he'll eat junk food as often as he can get it...

Quoting anotherhalf:

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    That is strange.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    What does his pedi say? My ds doesn't eat well at all so he's been on a special diet since he was an infant. We have to get creative with food and getting him to eat it. We don't have junk food in the house, his "cookies" are crackers.
    You may have to do the same. I'm sure he's been referred to a nutritionist, what have they said. Have they told you how to dress up his food or create an experience where he thinks he's eating junk food or how to shove as much nutrition in the foods he will eat?

Quoting blue_elephant:

We generally don't have junk in the house, but my birthday was Tuesday, so we had cake, my mom brought over cupcakes, and kids and I baked cookies and cinnamon rolls, because my older kids were bummed because their dad didn't want to take them.

I'm just at a loss, this kid will not eat, I've tried giving him his food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he didn't eat it the night before. He will say he is full every time.

I'm not sure how this child is still alive, in complete honesty. He weighs 31 pounds and has weighed that since he was 2. I don't get it...

Quoting LilliesValley:

• LilliesValley
    June 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

He must be getting it more than you think then. have you discussed with his doc about it? I'd let him be full but if need be, nothing in between meals. Eventually he will get hungry. Make sure he's not sneaking food too. My bil had a problem with their oldest to the point they had to lock food up. Food at meals until he starts eating at meals routinely. Keep a food diary for him and take it to the doc in a few weeks. he may have some sort of sensitivity or texture issue but mltn he's just a kid wanting sweets. He thinks you won't lt him go hungry or starve or follow through. Show him differently. Everyone who comes to the house will need to know not to feed him though in between meals and that sort of thing. It's probably not a eating disorder or texture issue at this point but more so a battle of wills. He wants to be in control. We have two choices for dinner, take it or leave it. If you don't take it then you wait until the next meal normally (I've had an exception or two at times where the plate will go in the fridge, but again it doesn't get heated up then). probably just need to come down on him really hard and quick. But you want to get it under control because you don't want it to develop into a food disorder or something. Best of luck.

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting LilliesValley:

• blue_elephant
    June 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    How is he manipulating me if he doesn't get it?

Occasionally I'll give them a cookie for good behavior, but that isn't often.

He doesn't get offered junk food often and when he does its for a reward for something.

I don't understand how he is being manipulative if he isn't getting what he wants. If he refuses to eat, he goes to bed hungry, I don't make him something else and he doesn't get a treat, so I don't get it...

Quoting momtolittleg:

Since he can eat junk food with no problems, I say he's manipulating you. I'd talk to his doc about doing some kind of food intervention- that does not involve ANY kind of junk food. You'd probably have to out-manipulate him. But definitely talk to the doc first. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts