Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Foxilady
Military questions
June 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I'm super confused- hoping some of you are on "the in" and can help.
Hubby and I have recently adopted a soldier to support. We read through the list of items to send and I'm in shock...
We assumed the soldiers (and we may be correct) would be interested in receiving certain hygiene products and treats (gum, cookies, whatever) however we weren't expecting to see sheets, t-shirts, coffee makers, flash lights, socks, tape, water purification tabs, etc. doesn't the gov provide this stuff?? I was seriously outraged thinking how cheap our gov was... Then hubby pointed out that the gov probably provides some of these things but they are low quality etc. *shrugs* I dunno...

I've emailed our soldier and asked him specifically what he would like since his original list was very broad.
We did have fun shopping for him today. Hoping we hit a few of his needs as well as wants.

I also wished to extend my appreciation to his wife by sending her a gift basket or gift card etc.
I haven't read anything about the soldiers wives/husbands at home so I'm hoping I didn't step out of bounds there????

:confused:

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    June 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

When DH was deployed, they had plenty of junk food.
    I know that was asking for a lot of socks.

• elephantmamaof2
    June 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Definitely not stepping out of bounds sending something for his wife! She'll feel so appreciated! As for the things on the list, it is odd and it does make me sad! Usually the things you originally listed are what's on the list. Razors, deodorant, gum, etc.

• kapzilla
    June 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Nope, we were never issued that type of stuff when deployed.  We had to either buy it with our own money or have it sent to us.

As for a typical care package cards, puzzle books (crossword and stuff like that), beef jerky, baby wipes, flea collars and water tablets.  Those were the biggest hits when I was over seas.

As for the spouses at home, we really don't expect anything like that.  It's totally up to you on that part.  That is a very generous gesture. :)

ETA:  Ask him where he is and what type of facilities they have.  Razors are very appreciated by most male service members, because they are expensive!

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2

the military does not provide any of that stuff. for free anyways. if soldiers want anything like that, they have to buy it themselves. which is not always possible depending on where they are at. some places don't have stores. and if they do, they almost always have a very small, poor selection.

• Foxilady
    So food isn't high on their list then?
    We might not hear from our soldier for a looong time- and would like to send a package every month...
  • Foxilady
    June 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    Can you comment on what is best for the hygiene items? Travel size or standard?

I'm seriously sickened the gov doesn't provide any of this!

Quoting kapzilla:

Nope, we were never issued that type of stuff when deployed.  We had to either buy it with our own money or have it sent to us.

As for a typical care package cards, puzzle books (crossword and stuff like that), beef jerky, baby wipes, flea collars and water tablets.  Those were the biggest hits when I was over seas.

As for the spouses at home, we really don't expect anything like that.  It's totally up to you on that part.  That is a very generous gesture. :)

ETA:  Ask him where he is and what type of facilities they have.  Razors are very appreciated by most male service members, because they are expensive!

• mamivon2
    June 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

There is a lot of scammers.. please make sure your soldier is in fact a soldier.. there are several ways to find out

• kapzilla
    June 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Foot powder, deoderant and shave gel are what I think of the most.  Gold Bond powder is a lifesaver!  Standard is fine, but travel size can be passed around if you buy a lot.  It's all appreciated, I can promise you that!

Quoting Foxilady:

Can you comment on what is best for the hygiene items? Travel size or standard?

I'm seriously sickened the gov doesn't provide any of this!

Quoting kapzilla:

• besosfantasies
    June 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM

NO, the government does not provide coffee makers, socks, taper, water purfication tabs, etc. They get a clothing allowance once a year. Once. During deployment, they go through the shirts and socks.

The wives will love to have a gift, it makes them feel welcomed and loved!

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    June 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

When my husband is deployed he asked for certain things that they can not get when deployed. The thing is, at the PX on base, the items are VERY expensive. It was cheaper for me to send him stuff other than him buy it there. People send so much food and junk food, that the Soldier dump the boxes out on the table in the common area, so everyone can dig through them.

The Army doesn't provide much of anything anymore. It is up to the Soldier to buy it now days.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts