Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Anyone have a failure to thrive child with NO symptoms or problems?!
by Anonymous
June 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
My daughter has been FTT since 6 months or younger. She has had myriads of tests done, and everything comes back normal. Her GI doctor is at the end of her rope, and she's been cleared from Endocrinology as well.I was wondering if anyone else is having problems also. I've met other FTT kids, but they also had other medical concerns, like being a preemie or heart problems. She is going to see Genetics next month and I am still wary of whether this is a good decision. I'm 5'4, 130 pds. Dh is 5'11 and around 155.Our dd is 2.5 yrs and 24 pds. So, naturally, we do checkups JUST to check her weight and to have her pediatricians keep up with it....to reassure us, nothing is wrong.We have tried carnation breakfast mixes, crazy straws (to help with milk intake, making a game of it), we tried follow up formula, we have tried Pediasure, when she was 1 and dr's took her off of it, because she refused to drink it, NOW, they are putting her back on it....and i am know she won't drink it...and am desperate for ways to hide calories in her foods!! She does get vitamin supplement. I am thinking it may be a behavioral issue at this point, but who knows?

Replies

• xixCandyxix
    June 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Supposedly I had failure to thrive when I was a month old. I was a slow weight gainer & they took me from my mom & never gave me back to her & I was adopted. I was underweight until puberty. This doesn't really answer  your questions but good luck. I'm healthy as hell, possibly lean towards anorexic though & I've anemia, a genetic kind not related to my diet.

• jiffypop2207
    June 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    Is she following her own growth curve or is she losing weight? Maybe she's just petite. My niece is 3 and only weighs about 22 lbs. My 7 yo only weighs 40. Some kids are just small
  • ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    June 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    No, because ftt is not characterized by slow weight gain alone. If a child is a slow gainer, but healthy in every other aspect, they are not ftt.
  • norahsmommy
    June 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    Some docs like to diagnose fft when it doesn't fit. If she is growing ( even slowly) not loosing weight, meeting developmental milestones, she isn't fft. You have too meet the criteria in order to fft. Just being small isn't it.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

This seems reasonable.  I agree.

Quoting ceckyl:

No, because ftt is not characterized by slow weight gain alone. If a child is a slow gainer, but healthy in every other aspect, they are not ftt.

• unusualmom
    June 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    My son - now 10. He was failure the thrive for at least 3 years. They couldnt find any issues medically. Hes healthy now.
  • AlliviasMommy
    June 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

My oldest dd 5 was slim(and still is but not unhealthy looking) at one point so these are ways I used to help increase the caloric and fun factor to eating. Try avocado smashed up on toast. My kids like it with basic seasoning (salt, pepper or garlic salt) on buttered toast, bread, crackers etc.. Having snacks on hand all the time. Pre-cut or bite size things, cheese, crackers, nuts. And constantly offer. Things like 3 bites before we get out of the car.My kids love the granola/fruit bars too and we would carry a stash in the car for in between snacking. I know you don't love cheeses but you could also try something like the laughing cow/cream cheese added to the avocado mixture too. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on pasta dishes. Use ranch dressing or sour creme dips with everything veggies, nuggets, potatoes wedges. TDip makes all sorts of things palatable and more fun to eat. I've used anything from cottage cheese, sour cheese, cream cheese, or plain yogurt with ranch powder mix to anything goes seasoning for dips to add calories. Good luck!

• Freela
    by Freela
    June 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yes, particularly my middle child, who went through a battery of blood work, etc. There is nothing wrong with her. She is genetically destined to be small (I'm 4'11, dh is average height but on the shorter side of average, my mom is my height, dh's mom is my height, etc.) She was probably smaller than your dd at 2.5 years. She just turned 9 and is about 60 lbs. She doesn't look (to me) that much smaller than her classmates. She has very little fat on her, but she doesn't even look skinny. She is quite muscular. Her legs and abs are pretty ripped.

Many doctors pull out the 'failure to thrive' label just to describe a child who is small or not on the charts in terms of size. Theoretically, FTT should encompass more than just being small for age. But doctors need to cover the bases because being small CAN be a red flag. If they've checked her out and come up with nothing underlying, just breathe and realize she's small. You can't feed a small person big (trust me, my daughter eats like a horse!) No harm in ruling things out, but once it's done, relax and don't let anyone tell you that she needs empty calories to be healthy and fine.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    My daughter is the sand age and weight and was never classified as FTT
  • LucyMom08
    June 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I do...her doctor is keeping an eye on things, but he's leaning towards her just having a ridiculously fast metabolism...our gi cleared us, the genetic testing showed nothing and all bloodwork has been normal...there is one last test to do (Celiac's) but he wants to wait until she is a bit older...

Mom Confessions