Mom Confessions

Anonymous
interesting. carseat related.
by Anonymous
June 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I had always been told the law was to rearface until 1 year and 20 pounds.
I just moved to Texas and was looking up carseat laws. And it states rearfacing until 35 pounds!
Any other states like this?
O and the child must be restrained unto 8 years or 4ft9.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/safety-laws.php

Replies

• Logan_Bellasmom
    June 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Carseat laws have been changing a lot in states in the last few  years.

• Pita369
    by Pita369
    June 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    I just looked it up myself.. My hubby and I are in the process it's between 20-35 lbs and 1 year old is what I've found
  • alexsmomaubrys2
    June 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

That is typical now. In our state it is still 1 and 20 by law but recommended 2 and 40, they must be restrained until they are 8 years old regardless of size.

I think our law here in VA isn't high enough. It should be more about size than age.

• elitish
    by elitish
    June 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Yes. Because people are finally buying a clue and realizing that it's safer.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Our laws says between ages 4 and 8 and between 40 and 80 pounds and no taller than 4 feet 9 inches that they must be in a car seat or booster.  

I am in Wisconsin.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    No offense but in some instances I don't think carseats are that safe. I have witnessed more accidents were kids in carseats/boosters have been injured or worse.....
  • bowribbonmama
    June 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    My province (Ontario) is 1 year, 20 lbs AND walking unassisted. However, they suggest that the car seat be used in the rear facing position for as long as the seat allows it.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It's also advised to keep them rear-faced until 2. But my poor daughter was so uncomfortable that we switched her at 20 months. She's pretty tall.

• AMRios
    by AMRios
    June 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My 11 month old and 3 year old are both rear facing... My 5 year old is in a 5 point harness and 8 year old is in a high back booster... I don't care what the law says I was my babies safe so they will be in a car seat until college if need be!

• lovemyairman150
    June 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    This may be a stupid question....forgive me, because I honestly do not know....

My son is 13 months, 22lbs, and he is still rear facing, but his legs aren't going to fit much longer, sometimes I take his shoes off....

So my question is, when they start to become squished and meet the minimum requirements, is it safe to forward face him??

Mom Confessions