Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
sleep.. help me get it!
by Anonymous
June 17, 2013 at 6:31 AM
My two and a half yr old still wakes up at night. When he does I put him back in bed and tell him its time for bed. He never goes back out but will scream until I give in and either sit or lay with him. I'm 8 months pregnant... this one is soooo straining I'm almost always tired at this point. I Dont know what to do here. He is a very stubborn lil man and he will cry for a while. Longest I made it was 30 minutes and then I gave in because he sounded so awful. Any ideas? I'm desperate. I've tried night lights and no night lights, routines aren't helping.. I'm at a loss here!

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    June 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    Bump
  • B1Bomber
    June 17, 2013 at 6:50 AM

We just went through this with my one and a half year old...he'll do naptime no problem (even go to bed himself then) but have a fit at bedtime or if he wakes up in the night.

The first night I rocked him back to sleep, the next I held him until he was calm then patted him till he fell asleep, then stayed until he was almost asleep. Eventually I just put him back in bed and stood outside the door and put him back in bed when he got up until he got the mesage.

Now we're to the point where he'll fuss for a minute or two and go to sleep. It  took about a week and change.

• blessedbyGod141
    June 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    You just have to be strong. Tuck him in once and say goodnight next time etc no words just bring him back to bed. He will eventually get it. Dont give in. The more you do the worse it gets. Im 36 weeks with a 2.5yr old.
  • Anonymous
    June 17, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Thank you! I'll try that..I hope it works. I was telling my husband the baby will be here in a month.. I'm breast feeding... I have no clue what I will do if he doesn't get regular with his sleeping.

Quoting B1Bomber:

We just went through this with my one and a half year old...he'll do naptime no problem (even go to bed himself then) but have a fit at bedtime or if he wakes up in the night.

The first night I rocked him back to sleep, the next I held him until he was calm then patted him till he fell asleep, then stayed until he was almost asleep. Eventually I just put him back in bed and stood outside the door and put him back in bed when he got up until he got the mesage.

Now we're to the point where he'll fuss for a minute or two and go to sleep. It  took about a week and change.

• Anonymous
    June 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    Longer nights in store for me huh? Lol my oldest never had sleep problems... this is a new one for me.

Quoting blessedbyGod141:

You just have to be strong. Tuck him in once and say goodnight next time etc no words just bring him back to bed. He will eventually get it. Dont give in. The more you do the worse it gets. Im 36 weeks with a 2.5yr old.

• itsm3
    by itsm3
    June 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM

this.

also, look at his schedule.  if he's not napping well, has a too-late bedtime, waking too early + a too late bedtime, no naps etc.. all of these things can contribute to a sleepless kid.  the more overtired they are, the more wakeful and sleep-resistant they are! 

just stick to your plan of continuing to put him back in bed and he'll get used to it.  the more you give in, the harder and longer he cries next time.

Quoting blessedbyGod141:

• rgba
    by rgba
    June 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    Stop fighting him. He is anxious about the new baby, and needs more reassurance right now, not you leaving him to cry.

Give him extra snuggles, and talk to him a lot about how much you love him.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts