Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Mama2ETA
GED vs. HS Diploma
June 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Another post got me thinking. I got my GED when I was 19, and I had to work my arse off. I remember being emotional (I had a baby and was pregnant, my boys are 11 months apart) When I took my test, I was 3 months pregnant. I remember having to take pre-tests that were harder than the real thing, but I had to know 90% of the test to pass on to take the real thing. In my state, you have to actually get a GED teacher's acceptance to go on to take the GED test.

Now for the H.S. Diploma. I know that many teenagers work very hard for their grades, but this isn't the case in most of the kids around my area when I was a kid. Even now, my friends and even my parents and their friends all talk about how easy high school was. They say that they would just show up, and the teachers would do whatever they could to get them out of their class by the end of the year, no matter what. They wanted them to graduate. Even if they hadn't earned it.

Is getting your GED really the worst thing? To have to work for your education. To fight for your own education and to make sure you have the knowledge needed for the exams (not just memorized). 

I really think the stigma about the GED needs to be changed because it is actually difficult. I got a scholarship for my grades on my GED test, but that is because I worked my butt off!

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.
  • Mama2ETA
    June 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM

It does differ from state, but I don't agree based on what I have done and heard. I didn't graduate. I went to private school until after my freshman year though.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.

• OwlNuggets
    June 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM

It's more the stigma attached to a GED than anything else.

• .ChiMama.
    June 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    If you continue your education further, no one is going to care about a GED.
  • myperfect4inok
    The GED where I went to school was easy to pass. High school was not. I think it greatly varies where you live.
  • laura_simss

I don't see anything wrong with a GED unless it is the higest thing you get. Higher education is VERY important in my opinion 

• ninjakids
    Ive completed my ged after quitting school due to bullying.Im proud that i did it because atleast its something! Im now in school to eventually become a nurse.
  • TaughtTot
    June 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM

neither

• MommyO2-6631
    June 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    In my state you have to take Gateway tests at the end of the class in order to pass. I didn't get by just by showing up.... and I graduated in 3 years. I worked hard for it.
  • anotherhalf
    June 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I think not graduating HS or getting a GED is the worst thing - education wise.  If you go on to college, no one is going to care about your lower education.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts