Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
That lady wants to have my son expelled (long)
by Anonymous
May 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM
So my son, who has some issues which I won't name to try and keep bias out of the post, was at school the other day. He is in kinder. We are not super religious, but we do pray daily as a family, I read the bible to my kids and we have discussions. We don't go to church though.

Anyways, the kids were having field day events, and they were eating outside. My son asks if the teacher will lead the class in prayer, after she explains that she can't, she told him he could pray by himself. So before he ate, he began to pray. Well other kids saw him and began to copy. He only asked the teacher because she was there, usually at lunch time the teacher just drops the kids off in the cafeteria and leaves. This day, the kids ate outside picnic style with their teacher, so he asked her to pray, since dh always leads us at our dinner table.

(We pray before every meal. When we have guests, we invite them, but they don't have to pray with us if they don't want to. We never force religion on anyone, we don't discuss religion other than prayers before a meal, when company is present, unless company brings it up. )

Well, a little boy's mother from up the street came to my house today (our sons are in class together) and started yelling at me for preaching to her kid. She told me to keep my "cult bull shit" to myself. When I tried to explain that he prays before every meal on his own, she cut me off and cussed me out some more. I lowered my voice again, almost to a whisper, and I basically told her that if she doesn't stop using that foul language in the presence of my children I would rip her tongue right out of her mouth! She looked absolutely shocked. She asked me if that was a threat. I asked her if it needed to be. I told her that her assumptions where a misunderstanding that she was throwing out of proportion and she needed to calm down and think rationally. I explained to her what happened, I apologized that her son copied my son, my son does not do that to be copied, but I will not make him stop either. She basically told me that I was full of it, that I was breaking the law pushing religion into the school and forcing her child to do things he shouldn't have to. She walked away telling me that I was what is wrong with this country and she would find a way to get my son expelled.

So I'm sitting here wondering, am I? I prayed by myself in school, I never forced my friends to pray with me, I never say with a group because they prayed or didn't pray. In fact none of my friends prayed. I never forced my kids to pray, they learned by watching us, they asked questions and I answered them with "I believe..." and explained that there are other beliefs as well. I want them to be able to choose whatever works for them. If they want to be Catholic,Muslim, Buddhist, Wiccan, or Atheist, I don't care. I have exposed them, I will not stop doing what I believe but I will not hide what the world offers, I have shown them where they can find information about other religions, or if they have questions, we look it up together. Is it so bad that he prays over his lunch every day by himself? I explained to him that his teacher cannot pray with him and that he shouldn't ask people at school to pray with him, but I don't see why he can't simply bless his food before he eats his lunch. He doesn't pray out loud, he simply folds his hands, bows his head and whispers to himself. Is this really worth him being expelled? Did I really do something so horrible by allowing this? I do believe in the separation of church and state, as far as the school shouldn't have to teach religion, but that doesn't mean a cognitive person shouldn't be allowed to say grace privately before a meal, right?

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    May 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

She's a whack job.  Your son didn't do anything wrong.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    May 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Religious people are so annoying.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    May 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    I agree with you, which is why I refuse to go to church :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Religious people are so annoying.

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    May 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    I think it's wonderful your son prayed at school. God needs to be brought back to schools. But since that will never happen its nice when a child starts leading a prayer. He didn't force any other kid to pray they obviously wanted to on their own and that's fantastic. Get ready to be calling your local news station if your son's school tries to punish him in any way and make sure you threaten the school that you will go to the news and to the district if they try to do anything to punish him. What he did was courageous and you must be so proud of him. What a terrific young man you have.
  • bethgoedeken
    May 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM

from what I understand, a teacher cannot lead a class in prayer, however the student is free to pray on their own. its a constitutional right.

• AuntieM
    by AuntieM
    May 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    There's nothing wrong with what your son did. It's a personal preference.
  • metalmomma86
    May 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    She sounds like a complete nut. It wasn't like your son stood up and startedb preaching to the masses about it being time to pray. He was doing what he does. It was just on a larger scale because they were all outside.
    I doubt anything will come of it but if it does, stand your ground.
  • luckysevenwow
    May 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Your son did nothing wrong. The woman has an issue.

• ladyluvbug03
    He did nothing wrong, the mom is just crazy! Good job teaching your kids the importance of what they believe, no matter what it may be. Sounds to me he's a leader to have people follow his example. BTW wtg on not allowing her to use the for language in front of your children!
  • Snakecharm
    Her son probably said your son told him to pray (even though it may not Be the way it happened), which is why she got bent out of shape.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts