Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
chickieboom
Proper names for "private parts"?
May 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Do you teach your children the proper names for their's? I've been talking to DS (3) about the other name for his "peepee". He's now in the bath yelling "penis...PENIS...PEENIS...PEEENNNIISSS!" I think this may have backfired a little lol

Replies

• earthmother399
    May 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

i do. so far, so good. :)

• crzymom78
    May 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM
    Something I heard years ago that has always stuck with me is that if you can't teach your children the proper names you are ashamed of those parts of your body and you are teaching your children to be.
  • bex55
    by bex55
    May 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Definitely teach children the proper names for their parts. Do we make up cute names for knees or noses? No, so why do that for penises or vaginas. I nannied a girl once who kept telling me her she-she hurt, she was two. It took me a while to figure out what she meant, so I asked "your vagina hurts?" When I spoke to her mom about it later I almost got fired for saying vagina. I did not last with that family long though, we had very different ideas.

• rhiannon0207
    May 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I'd rather my child know proper names for body parts, even the private the parts.  My one cousin use to refer to his penis as his "apples", and while I found it funny (i was a teenager then), looking back it's tacky.

It also saves embarassement later.  By using nicknames for private parts we're creating a taboo for our children to to talk about them. And if you're having a problem you need to be able to tell you parent or your doctor exactly what is going on.

When I was in the 7th grade our health teacher made us going around the room and say penis, vagina, and breasts, until we could say it without laughing.  It wasn't a joke and it was going to be hard to talk about reproduction and safe sex if we couldn't even talk about the parts properly.

Teach them right when they're young and they won't need to be retaught when they're older.

• WendyJR
    by WendyJR
    May 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    Yes we teach proper names
  • Anonymous 34
    by Anonymous 34
    June 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Penis and bottom, but you might should teach him not to talk about them in public or to just anybody--only in private, with you, his dad, or his doctor.

• Anonymous 34
    by Anonymous 34
    June 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

If you allow them to use "cutesy" names for them now, think of the names for them he will learn and use as he gets older.

• 13579nlm
    June 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Winky o.o

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts