Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Bringing baby to prison
by Anonymous
May 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

My mom is in prison, and will be for at least another two years. She was a bad mother when I was a kid, mostly due to heavy drug use. Since she was convicted, she has shown a lot of progress getting clean. I visit her without my child once or twice a month, and she tells me about counseling and shows me the slips. While I'm not ready to forgive her, I do see her improving. She's able to remember things now, she's looking healthier, her pop marks are fading. It's been almost eight months since she got high.

I am moving out of state next month. Not as in a bit of a drive away, but from the Midwest to the East Coast. So, obviously, I will not be seeing her until after she's out and off whatever parole she gets, given that she stays clean.

My mother hasn't seen my daughter since she was two weeks old. She is now nearly a year old. Each visit, my mother asks to see her, and I haven't wanted her to. But since we're moving, I feel that perhaps I should bring her with me for the last visit. My mother isn't going to see my daughter again until she's at least three. My daughter isn't going to remember it if I bring her, but I'm still a bit leery. Would you bring her, just the one time? Or wait out the sentence?

(My mother is in prison on assorted drug charges)

Would you bring her to visitation?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 55% - Yes
  2. 44% - No

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    May 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Bump.

• MomTo2Boys12
    May 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    I personally would wait out the sentencing.
  • notjstanothrmom
    May 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I vote yes because your daughter is only a year old. If your mom is good and she improves her life then great, they build a relationship, if not and she messes up, then your daughter is too young to remember it anyways.

• Ashleeduhh
    May 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    Yeah...why not? I'd be upset with her but ahes there for drugs not murder or child molestation. Anf she's ovviously clean so she's not seeing her under the influence. Idk why you wouldn't take her. Shes only 1 anyway so she won't understand and it'd mean a lot to your mom and maybe give her even more of a reason to stay clean.
  • Pnukey
    by Pnukey
    May 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I voted "no" before reading. After reading, still "no." 

• handy0318
    May 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I would take her.  Your dd will be in no danger, it won't affect her life whatsoever...

And, seeing her grandchild just might give that added help to your mom to stay clean and keep her act together. It's not easy for someone to truly change their lives, so whatever encouragement and help you can give her is a good thing.

• ksueditz

i would not. your daughter is not going to remember your mother, or make a connection at this age, and in one visit. i, personally, would not want my daughter in that atmosphere. i would wait.

• JRE-P55
    by JRE-P55
    I would wait. Maybe take her a bunch of pictures to keep but wait to see your daughter again once she's out.
  • mommy2alissa
    May 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM

no. if she wanted to see her grand kid she should of stayed away from drugs. 

• Des10ed2b
    May 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM

i would bring her. she wont remember anything and it could really do wonders for your moms recovery. i know most people on here will jump at NO, because of what they see in prisons in the media. until you have a family in prison and have visited them, you really just dont know how it actually is. regardless of crimes, they are still people who can love and have families. MOST of them are trying to get their lives back in order. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts