Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Any runner mommas out there? :)
by Anonymous
April 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I am a beginner when it comes to running. On Wednesday I ran 0.59 Miles in 6 minutes, and I honestly felt like I was going to puke after. Then today (Sunday) I ran 1 mile in 11 Minutes, and I did the "talk test" during my run.. (I could talk in sentences without being too out of breath) 

So, my question is, are those ok times for my first 2 times running? 
What should I be aiming for? (Shorter time, or longer distance, or both?) 
What can I do to improve my running? 
**I am trying to get my posture in check, and drinking lots of water!** 
How long after a run should I go? 
What time of the day should I go? (Morning, afternoon, or night?) 
If I eat first how long should I wait before going so I don't get a cramp? 
And, how can I best pace myself?? 

Thanks!!

Replies

• KelliansMom
    April 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    I'm not new to running but it's been a while so I'm using the c25k program :) it really helps ease you into it.
  • mistie900
    April 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    Bump because I'm interested as well.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    April 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM

What is that? Please tell me more :)

Quoting KelliansMom:

I'm not new to running but it's been a while so I'm using the c25k program :) it really helps ease you into it.

• KelliansMom
    April 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    It's a program to help you go from being a none runner to running a five k in nine weeks. There are a bunch of apps that you can use or even look up the program online.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting KelliansMom:

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    April 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Oh is that the couch to 5k program? I've heard it's done wonders for other women!

Quoting KelliansMom:

It's a program to help you go from being a none runner to running a five k in nine weeks. There are a bunch of apps that you can use or even look up the program online.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting KelliansMom:

• seemommyrun
    April 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Your body takes about 30 min. to digest your food, so don't run for at least 30 min. after you've eaten so your body can focus on that.

Your time seems right on target to me, but everyone is different.  You're testing yourself and making sure you're not overdoing it? Everyone gains speed/mileage at their own pace.  I know runners that have done a light jog for years and years, and they're fine with that.  I run likes someone's chasing me-it's not very pretty!  LOL  (But that's because I want my mileage and I only have a certain amount of time to get it in)  You'll find your rhythm.  Good luck :)

You'll

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    I go for distance, not time. Your pace will change over time. Try a couch to 5k program to get started. Remember to stretch before and after to avoid injury and get good shoes. If you are going for speed, there are a lot of running groups that do training sessions together and could help you work on pace, stride, styles. Keep your arms and hands relaxed.
  • KelliansMom
    April 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    Yes :) I'm on week four starting tomorrow. It has really made things easy. My parents are marathon runners and suggested I try it out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh is that the couch to 5k program? I've heard it's done wonders for other women!

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting KelliansMom:

• proudmama11212
    April 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    Thats okay for a beginner :) every week try to shave off a minute :)
  • VannaMae307
    April 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I started by trying to do 3 miles in 24 minutes, and then 2 miles in 12 minutes, and then 1 mile in 4 minutes. I was specifically training though, I haven't actually ran since the summer now. I will probably just go back to that strategy though. The mile time included the stair climbers (on the bleachers, up,down,up,down instead of the flat track in that area)

I always wait a minimum of 40 minutes after eating.

Mom Confessions