Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Benjamins-mama
what does a child need to know before they start kindergarten?
April 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM

My son will be turning 5 august 29th and want to know what they need to know before starting Kindergarten?   I don't want to enroll him til I know if he's ready or not

Replies

• AJsMom81507
    April 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM

if hes in school, he should know the basics.

how to write their first and last name, their birthday, count to 20, identify and know the alphabet, their address, telephone number, etc.

my DD is 3.5 and they have been learning all this in pre-school,  i know next year in pre-k she will have it mastered.

• audreesmama
    April 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    You need to google 'kindergarten entrance requirements for (state)' because every state is different.
  • LiesLiesLies
    April 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    How to throw a good punch.
  • moroccanmommy
    April 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    Count to 100
    Read two word page books
    Write first and last name clearly
    KNow adress and parent phone number
  • fairyjester
    April 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM

from what i have read on here lately pretty much what any high school student knows

• BamaRose61
    April 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Each school district has different standards.  It would be best to contact the school and find out what they are. If I remember right, here they need to know alphabet, shapes, primary colors and count to ten.  There maybe be more added to it cause this was 5 years ago. Also here when they register, the teachers will evaluate the child on what they know and will let you know what needs work.

• meagan0716
    April 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    How to count to 1-10, 1-100 and by 10s
    Abcs, reading simple books, how to write their name, address and phone number. And if you happen to live in Tn be prepared for your kindengardener to take what is called tcap it is the state test. Every state has a different name for it. This is the first year that the kids are having to do it here. The pressure they put on the kids is ridiculous. My older two didn't take the state test in kindergarden. Only first grade and up.
  • LCWAmommy
    April 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Calculus and how to read war and peace
  • tifferie
    April 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    Totally. My son is small and a lover. He has had a kid beat him up because of his glasses.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

How to throw a good punch.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    Wow my son knew his basics how to count to like 30, knew his alphabet, colors, shapes. He didnt write because he didnt want to hold a pencil he didnt like coloring very much either. He for sure didnt really know how to read. He knew how to spell words but not necessarily how to read them because he heard his older brother and I going over his spelling words. But my son did great in kindergarten and is in the top of his class, and in his 1st grade class as well. The teachers teach them all that, they have sight words and spelling words to learn, they teach them how to write and can count to 100 by the 100 days in school they work up to it.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts