Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Boys are NOT necessarily more immature than girls.
by Anonymous
April 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I am so sick of seeing this myth, stereotype, whatever you want to call it.

I have 2 boys, and they are plenty immature; I have lots of friends with girls who are just as immature as my boys if not more so in some ways.

I am tired of people saying boys need to be redshirted (meaning held back from Kindergarten another year if they turn 5 in the summer), I believe EVERY child is an individual and should not be grouped into some lump category based on gender.

My older son is 7 1/2 now and in 2nd grade. He started K at a young 5, he turned 5 two weeks before Kinder started. He had been in Prek for going on 3 yrs, he was in daycare and they start teaching at 2 1/2 or before.

He was ready so we sent him and he did great and still does great. He has been on the Honor Roll every grading period since K, is in the Accelerated Reader Program, he is very smart. ANd his teachers don't think he is any more immature than any of the other kids, boy or girl.

I just want to say, your child is an individual. Just because he's a boy doesn't mean he isn't ready for school.

Replies

• couture-mommy
    April 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    I agree 100%
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    April 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

bump

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I think you are taking it personally.

you're applying it to just your children and your friends children, when the stereo type or stigma is directed to the tender as a whole
  • audreesmama
    I agree. Maturity isn't based on gender. Half the moms on here have proved that being female doesn't make you more mature, even as an adult.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I think those things are meant "in general" and not meant to apply to every single person. In general, I find the statement to be true, that boys mature slower than girls.

• tennisgal
    April 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

and often times it does. yes, i agree, your child is an individual, but most people don't look at that as much as, "welp I can send him this year, so I'm going to."

the school environment is not necessarily the best environment for little boys. it does not encourage much of anything boys are naturally good at or naturally inclined to do.

I also disagree that boys are just as mature as girls. actually this one made LOL. I have four boys...am fully immersed in all things boy and they are completely different creatures than girls. maybe their immaturity is just louder and more spazstic than girls??

• Anastacia1988
    April 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    My daughter is super mature but that's only because she's an only child and until this year she's only been around adults . If there's scientific reasoning I wouldn't believe it's true... Maybe ill do some research and see if I find anything . Yes all children are individuals . At the same time males and females do generally have different traits since birth but I don't know enough to give an opinion on this one :/
  • MamaTurney
    April 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    I don't think boys are more immature than girls. I think they're a different, more obvious kind of immature. Boys do gross things, make fart jokes and tease and pick on each other in public. Girls, on the other hand, are more sneaky and mean about their immaturity. Equal levels of immaturity, just different ways of expressing it.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    April 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM

haha thats the damn truth!

Quoting audreesmama:

I agree. Maturity isn't based on gender. Half the moms on here have proved that being female doesn't make you more mature, even as an adult.

• nurbabe82
    April 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think those things are meant "in general" and not meant to apply to every single person. In general, I find the statement to be true, that boys mature slower than girls.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts