Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Concern about this kitten....
by Anonymous
April 18, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Mobile Photo

I posted a couple weeks ago about my rescue having kittens. Everything is going pretty cool so far. I haven't seen so much cuteness in a long time! It's going to be hard to let them go to their forever homes!
But I do have a concern about one of them. I think it may be deaf. The other 4 meow and cry (actually they are a bunch of crybabies!) this one will make the motion but no sound at all not even a little squeak! Every time I pet or love on it, if it isn't facing me/looking at me it will jump.
Does anyone know how common this is or maybe this one is just a little slower?

It may or may not be this kitten, 4 of them look exactly alike!

Replies

• Fields456
    April 18, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Truthfully it is common and until the kitten is older I don't believe you will beabke to know if it has hearing issues . From your picture they Are Still very young.      How old,are the kittens now

• silverflash
    April 18, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I don't know about it being deaf but, I had a cat that just plain didn't meow. I was pretty sure he was mute until he got his tail stepped on when he was a few years old. He howled then. He would also chitter like a squirrel if you took his picture but, he never meowed.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    April 18, 2013 at 3:47 AM
    16 days

All eyes are open and ears are staring to stand up. 2 of them are very shakily walking not just crawling.

Quoting Fields456:

Truthfully it is common and until the kitten is older I don't believe you will beabke to know if it has hearing issues . From your picture they Are Still very young.      How old,are the kittens now

• Anonymous
    April 18, 2013 at 3:49 AM
    I was thinking this also, but it opens its mouth and makes the face just nothing comes out!

Quoting silverflash:

I don't know about it being deaf but, I had a cat that just plain didn't meow. I was pretty sure he was mute until he got his tail stepped on when he was a few years old. He howled then. He would also chitter like a squirrel if you took his picture but, he never meowed.

• paganmommy4
    April 18, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Depending on age, its ears still might be plugged up or it just doesnt cry

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM

It is very common for one to have this problem, when they are this young but later "find their voice" lol. Don't worry about it now they are still very young.

• zalia11
    by zalia11
    April 18, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    Omg that is just adorable!
  • Anonymous
    April 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    Isn't it!

I leaned over to look in the drawer and saw that...had to take a picture! It's just so sweet! Momma cuddles with them a lot, when they aren't driving her crazy climbing all over her!

Quoting zalia11:

Omg that is just adorable!
  • IndigoRose
    April 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM

You are very sweet to be so concerned.  I too have kittens at our house.  My little housecat Putsi ran outside in December and was gone only 1 night.  I didn't even know she was in heat.  She came back pregnant and had 4 kittens 6 weeks ago. 

The are to go to an organization called "Cats Are People Too" in another 2 weeks.  They will find wonderful homes for them. 

Good luck with your pretty tabby kittens.  (That one might just be a quiet one.  They're all individuals!)

• amyleigh80
    April 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    Maybe just the runt? They are so sweet. If it is deaf you should keep it and be its momma!

Mom Confessions