Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
potgieter
so this is my thinking..... *Update*
April 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Im pregnant and have learnt taht when I am pregnant I need alot of opinions before making any big descisions. - excuse the rambling.

I have a 1 year old - Sophia and am pregnant with Peanut who will be born in September when Sophia is around 18 months. 

I have thought alot about ways to make the adjustment easier for Sophia since I am a SAHM and she gets 100% of my attention when she needs/wants it. 

She loves spending time by herself and will often play on her play mat for 2 hours without paying any attention to me so a part of me is like: She will be fine! - the other part of me knows that you cant ever know how a child will respond to the second baby! Esp at a young age. 

So Im thinking of getting a puppy. I have the time to do all the walking, grooming, playing etc and I think it will be good for Sophia to share my attention with something else that is non threatening ( she wont worry that it will take her place). She is obsessed with dogs. Infact, if she could have an imaginary friend at this age, it would be a dog - when she plays alone youll hear her say: Hi Dog! Woof Woof Woof!. 

My uncle has 2 puppies he is looking to get adopted and we went and met them. They love Sophia, Sophia loves them and they seem to work together well. 

I feel like if Sophia has a special friend ( the puppy) when the baby comes she will have company and a bond with something other than me during the day. 

Does that make any sense? Or am I being super hormonal?

We are going to "puppysit" over the weekend to work out practicalities since we have birds and arent sure where to have the puppy sleep etc and to test the puppy's temperament. 

Does this sound like a good idea?

*update* I know how much time and effort it takes to have a puppy. I have that time and am happy to put in the effort. a 1 year old puppy is significantly different to a 2 month old puppy and Id rather have a a 2 month old puppy now while I only have 1 child. Plus its me and my husband so ill only be "on duty" from 8 till 5?

and im prob going to be called naive for this but Id rather be awake with a newborn and take the puppy out for a midnight wizz than be done with midnight wakings and then have to do it all again?  

I do appreciate all the comments opposed to it :) Its exactly what I need to consider all aspects :) 

After reading my post - are those good reasons to get a puppy?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 7% - yes
  2. 92% - no
  3. 0% - other - please post and explain :D

Replies

• KelliansMom
    April 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Getting a puppy is just like adding another baby to the family. They need love TIME and attention. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    Learnt?
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Hell no.  A dog is a l;ifetime commitment and a puppy who might or might not be housebrioken and a one year old sounds like a disaster.  You will have  TWO kids in diapers. That is enough poop in your life-why add a third source of poop for you to clean?

• mommy_me
    getting a puppy will completely overwhelming you when you have two children in diapers an infant waking up at night and a puppy you are trying to potty train and be used to. Is going to take a lot of attention and I think it will come to a breaking point where you will want to get rid of the puppy and that will just hurt your daughter more. Just start talking to her.
  • thetrollcat

if you cannot get the puppy fixed dont get it

if you cannot afford puppy training classes, dont get it

if you cannot afford vet bills over 500 if something happens, DONT GET IT

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Get a cat instead. Puppies take a ton of work.
  • starlight91

2 kids & a puppy, lmao lmao   Thats like having 3 children....

Im sorry but this is not the best time to get a puppy.. Wait until the baby is here then take the time to see if you can handle all of them at the same time...

• ilovemykids323
    April 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM

puppies are like another toddler. dont do it. wait until kids are older. Like someone else said get a cat instead. they are a lot less work!

• anyotherday
    April 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Dogs need to go out at all hours of the day and night and take a lot of work. Puppy training while taking care of two little ones is SO much work, trust me... we tried it for a while and the poor puppy was the one who got the short end of the stick. We finally had to say, enough, and give her to my parents who were able to give her the time she needed.

My advice, wait until your youngest is 2-3yo and then give it a shot. 

(ETA- my kids were about the same age... just turned 2 and newborn when we got our puppy. It is not cute or fun in the middle of the night, you are trying to breastfeed a newborn, the toddler is having a night terror and the puppy is whining at the door... or in the middle of the day when you are trying to breastfeed the newborn, the dog needs to go out and the toddler is in the middle of lunch... Puppies can take a long time to go potty and are you going to leave a toddler in a high chair while you take it outside for 10-15 minutes? That kind of stuff)

• angevil53
    April 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Don't do it.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts