Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
i feel like i am failing my son.
by Anonymous
April 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
He just turned 6 a few weeks ago. I have been home schooling him this year. We have a terrible school district and i dont want him going to our public school. I though how hard can it be to teach him K. So we started off the year with an online school thing that i decided that i didnt like. So i pulled him from that and started on our own in Jan. He fights he ever step of the way. He doesnt want to practice writing. He doesnt want to practice reading simple words. He doesnt want to do anythi g that schools lke school! Ihe knows names and sounds of 19 of his lletter. I keep heaqring he should know them all by now. I feel like i am failing him but i cant get him to do thw activties with me without a fight. I might just send him to public sxhool in the fall. And he can start at K.

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    April 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    I would out him in public school. Or private if you can afford it. I know you think you're helping him but education is important and homeschooling doesn't work for everyone.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    April 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    I know how important education is thats why i wanted to home school our public schools are terrible. We cant afford private.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would out him in public school. Or private if you can afford it. I know you think you're helping him but education is important and homeschooling doesn't work for everyone.
  • MonkeyPeanut79
    April 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I went through the same thing with my son. I still am in some ways. We just keep working through it. Some days are really good and some days are bad but he's learning the material because I test him to make sure.

Only you really know if he would be better off in public school. Some kids are, but some kids thrive with homeschooling. Just find what works for you no matter what that is.

• Anonymous 1
    April 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    I think he will get in lots of trouble in public school for being a class clown. He is a great kids but if kids laugh at something he is doing he will keep doing it. He is the biggest goof off in the in the world. He is always playing jokes. He is also so super smart and creative and inventive. If i could just making learnig letters and reading more funny so he would want to do it.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

I went through the same thing with my son. I still am in some ways. We just keep working through it. Some days are really good and some days are bad but he's learning the material because I test him to make sure.

Only you really know if he would be better off in public school. Some kids are, but some kids thrive with homeschooling. Just find what works for you no matter what that is.

• MonkeyPeanut79
    April 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Check out timberdoodle.com they have the BEST educational stuff. Toys and games up the wazoo! You might be able to find something fun there.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think he will get in lots of trouble in public school for being a class clown. He is a great kids but if kids laugh at something he is doing he will keep doing it. He is the biggest goof off in the in the world. He is always playing jokes. He is also so super smart and creative and inventive. If i could just making learnig letters and reading more funny so he would want to do it.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

• momoftwo0406
    April 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

• Anonymous 1
    April 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    I am looking at the site right now.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

Check out timberdoodle.com they have the BEST educational stuff. Toys and games up the wazoo! You might be able to find something fun there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    April 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Sounds like he needs discipline........no, not spanking.

He needs some structure and routine.

Start small with a private Pre K over the summer. Some of the daycares have programs like that.

He'll love it.

Don't beat yourself up over it.

I don't have the patience to home school either. Good luck, mama.

• lucky2Beeme
    April 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Many private schools have scholarships. check the ones near you. It sounds like because mommy is the teacher he doesn't take it seriously.

• Anonymous 1
    April 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    I dont see a need to rush his reading or to rush a 4 year old into knowing letters and sounds.i want my litle kids to spend a lot of time exploding.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN