Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
laurenryan
Denied: Accepting My Identity
April 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Upon coming out to my family after my son was born, I reached out to various mom groups that were mostly composed of other LGBT families. This worked out great for play dates and such. I have a gay uncle who said," if you don't make it wired to them (children), they won't ever think its weird. " So our son has socialized in the same groups since he was born. For a majority of his life, he has been raised in a lesbian household. I haven't seen a problem with this.

For the last year I have been in a very stable relationship. One that I have proclaimed to be the best one I've ever been in. If seen in public, you'd probably say we are the straightest gay couple you've ever seen. My partner has fit into my lifestyle very well with family and friends. However, since my partner has come out to friends as transgender, I am getting mixed reviews. I no longer am welcome at the lesbian parent groups. This is frustrating. I've tried talking to a few friends in this group. I have explained that just because my partner has changed identities, it doesn't mean that I have. I guess I have been blessed this far to think that the LGBT community as a family. I don't understand the need to segregate myself.

What would you do?

Replies

• laurenryan
    April 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    The community here isn't that big, and by no means did I say that I knew a lot that partied. My gay and lesbian friends are no different than my straight friends. Most are just getting out of college and finding all that Life has to offer. Not everyone finds the desire to settle down by 25. I on the other hand am the oldest of 8. Before moving to the city, that was the culture I was surrounded with. Many young ladies did begin families shortly after high school. I salute those that waited and have careers. Of course I know lesbian couples with children, but being gay and proud is still new to the community.

Quoting sheymann:

I find it very sad that a Lesbian Gay Bisexual TRANSGENDER group is shutting you out because your partner is transgender. 

I also find it odd that you know so many LGBTs that party. All the ones I know are married and trying or have started families. lol

Good luck to you and your family!

• sheymann
    April 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Someone did. I must have thought it was you. Sorry.

Quoting laurenryan:

The community here isn't that big, and by no means did I say that I knew a lot that partied. My gay and lesbian friends are no different than my straight friends. Most are just getting out of college and finding all that Life has to offer. Not everyone finds the desire to settle down by 25. I on the other hand am the oldest of 8. Before moving to the city, that was the culture I was surrounded with. Many young ladies did begin families shortly after high school. I salute those that waited and have careers. Of course I know lesbian couples with children, but being gay and proud is still new to the community.

Quoting sheymann:

I find it very sad that a Lesbian Gay Bisexual TRANSGENDER group is shutting you out because your partner is transgender. 

I also find it odd that you know so many LGBTs that party. All the ones I know are married and trying or have started families. lol

Good luck to you and your family!

• laurenryan
    April 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    I wanted to take a quick second to thank everyone for taking a quick moment to respond.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts