Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
reaandiziesmama
What do you think of this part of PA
April 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

My working single mom friend gets medical for her kids. She got her yearly renewal papers in the mail today. There are several plans you can choose from and it lists all the "perks" of each one. With one plan you get a free membership to the YMCA. With another, if the person is a child, they get their dues paid for Girl Scouts or Boys Scouts.

I think its kinda neat. It gives them opportunities they might not otherwise have but I wondered what you ladies thought.

Replies

• morriganna
    April 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM

BUMP!

• tennisgal
    April 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM

what does medical insurance have to do with scouting?? i understand the Y, but not sure how scouting ties in with medical benefits. 

• shivasgirl

Boy and Girl Scouts offer financial assistance even if you are not on PA

• morriganna

I'd love a free membership at the Y!  Don't know why people would have a problem with it, everybody harps on how overweight people burden the healthcare system so presumably the exercize will keep down their health care expenses.

• reaandiziesmama
    April 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I'm not either. That one really shocked me but at the same time I guess if they are involved in scouting they think they will be more active and not at such risk for childhood obesity? LOL I don't know only thing I could think of.

Quoting tennisgal:

what does medical insurance have to do with scouting?? i understand the Y, but not sure how scouting ties in with medical benefits. 

• reaandiziesmama
    April 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I would too. It sucks the closest one in an hour a way. I wish they would open it up to like community centers for small towns such as ours. My friend is going with the one that offers the scouting so her 8 year old can be in girl scouts.

Quoting morriganna:

I'd love a free membership at the Y!  Don't know why people would have a problem with it, everybody harps on how overweight people burden the healthcare system so presumably the exercize will keep down their health care expenses.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    April 6, 2013 at 1:08 AM

The problem I have with that kind of stuff is this country is in debt up to our eyeballs and we are giving poor people stuff that some of the middle class can't even afford, if the middle class, who work for what they have, don't need it, poor people don't either.

Quoting morriganna:

• reaandiziesmama
    April 6, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Is that universal? When I was thinking about Daisy's for DD I thought I saw something about it being per troop and the troops here are so small the people I talked too said they rarely do it.

Quoting shivasgirl:

Boy and Girl Scouts offer financial assistance even if you are not on PA

• reaandiziesmama
    April 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM

One argument to this (not MINE mind you, but one I have heard often) is that the middle class has the choice to budget for these things if they deem them important. I get what you are saying but sort of feel like its not the kids fault the parents are poor so if this is a way for them to get to take those swim lessons or join scouts maybe just maybe those things will help push them to do better and break that cycle. Yes I am sure that is SUPER optimistic but one can hope

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem I have with that kind of stuff is this country is in debt up to our eyeballs and we are giving poor people stuff that some of the middle class can't even afford, if the middle class, who work for what they have, don't need it, poor people don't either.

Quoting morriganna:

• morriganna
    April 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Don't worry, nobody's doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  It keeps them in good health so that we save money in the long run.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting morriganna:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts