Mom Confessions

Anonymous
infant apnea monitor
by Anonymous
April 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM
My son got put on a monitor today and I'M GOING FUCKING CRAZY!!!!!It won't SHUT THE HELL UP!I want to turn it off but the doctor said leave it on for 24 hours before i take it off him

Replies

• mcginnisc
    April 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

How old is your son? 

My dd was on one for 6 months....good times..

• jillbailey26
    April 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Are they the sticker leads or the one with the band that wraps around him?  You have to really make sure they're stuck where they're supposed to be or that band is kinda tight.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    April 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    two months

Quoting mcginnisc:

How old is your son? 

• Anonymous
    April 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    the one with the strap.i havent touched it since they put it on.ill tighten it and see if that helps

Quoting jillbailey26:

Are they the sticker leads or the one with the band that wraps around him?  You have to really make sure they're stuck where they're supposed to be or that band is kinda tight.

• mcginnisc
    April 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

two months

Quoting mcginnisc:

How old is your son? 

Is he moving around a lot? We had issues with Karli's as she moved all the time when she was awake and sleeping. The leads would be misaligned due to her movement ( esp. awake) and it would go off consistently. We would get the results weekly from the apnea company and they would tell us how many real episodes she had. 

I know it sucks, but if he is really having sleep apnea episdoes, you need to know. 

• jillbailey26
    April 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

The reason why it beeps is because it's not picking up his breathing.  So it may not be tight enough.  Just make sure you can get one or two fingers under it.

My daughter was on one of those for about 6 months after she got out of the NICU.  The best part is when it goes off in the middle of the night, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

the one with the strap.i havent touched it since they put it on.ill tighten it and see if that helps

Quoting jillbailey26:

• LilliesValley
    April 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    Dd ended up having a sleep study done and her oxygen was in the low 80's. She ended up getting her tonsils and adnoids removed at fifteen months. They said brain and heart damage wouldn't have occurred if I hadn't been so on it. Dh said I was crazy too but you trust mommy gut. Sleep study was rough but worth it. Can your son get one done or what is the doctors plan? Only having a sleep apnea machine for 24 hours seems pretty worthless.
  • Jessy613
    April 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Bump

• Anonymous
    April 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    he has a sleep study for the 22 he has to wear it longer than that but the doctor wanted it on for 24 hours straight before giving him a bath or anything

Quoting LilliesValley:

Dd ended up having a sleep study done and her oxygen was in the low 80's. She ended up getting her tonsils and adnoids removed at fifteen months. They said brain and heart damage wouldn't have occurred if I hadn't been so on it. Dh said I was crazy too but you trust mommy gut. Sleep study was rough but worth it. Can your son get one done or what is the doctors plan? Only having a sleep apnea machine for 24 hours seems pretty worthless.

• LilliesValley
    April 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Yikes. Prepare yourself for the sleep study. They put electrodes EVERYWHERE. even up their nose! It was awfully but I was so thankful we did it. There was another family that couldn't go through with it and I always wonder about that kid? I mean heart and brain damage is pretty serious you know. Just keep reminding yourself it will be worth it. 24 hours is just one really long day, when he's six it will just be s bad dream. Dd is six now.

Quoting Anonymous:

he has a sleep study for the 22 he has to wear it longer than that but the doctor wanted it on for 24 hours straight before giving him a bath or anything

Quoting LilliesValley:

Mom Confessions